My LS4 GXP caught fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drummer

Well I was just driving around minding my own business when all of a sudden I notice smoke coming from behind my car and I think ok better pull over. as I'm pulling over the smoke gets worse and worse and by the time i park the car and get out there is quite a bit of smoke coming out from the hood, and i can hear what sounds like a pin hole noise and the is gets louder and louder and then pretty much lets loose and i can see a fire ball from under my car. Surprisingly the car never went up in flames as it stayed in the front of the engine bay on the drivers side. 2 hrs later i open the hood and start assessing the damage.

From what I can tell the wiring is toast plastic in the front is melted, not sure on the engine had a tad of oil on the dipstick which i know was full when i added oil. Looks like oil on the ground and underneath my car, hell could be power steering fluid, was gonna schedule an appt. to take it in for the hose recall, guess now i can. What a day.:cussing:

Glad your ok and no one got hurt. Hang in there. I've seen cars go up in flames, nothing left but fried metal and a hole scorched in the pavement.

More reasons why I have a fire extinguisher in my cars.

Think you get get it proved that it was the power steering and have GM replace?

More reasons why I have a fire extinguisher in my cars.

SAME. One bad dream about my car was more than enough reason to get an extinguisher. My sisters friend's car caught on fire at my house recently... Came out and the flames were 6ft tall, we rounded up 3 fire extinguishers which at least kept the fire under control until the fire dept showed up. Might have been able to get the flames out if we had gloves to open the hood, but we were worried about the battery exploding(or the car for that matter). I now have a much LARGER fire extinguisher. And thank GOD he didn't decide to park in front of me in the driveway...

7298283196_45c0b8f5ca_b.jpg

7298296964_5a29270140_b.jpg

Well upon further investigation it seems like a nylon hose barb ruptured which caused my fire. I am so mad at myself for not changing it out to a steel line adapter when I had the chance. Well heres the damage.

2012-06-07_18-18-40_667.jpg[/img]

2012-06-08_18-51-11_258.jpg[/img]

2012-06-08_18-50-36_88.jpg[/img]

2012-06-08_18-50-27_48.jpg[/img]

when you said nylon barb, you mean the fuel line? I just repaired a cracked nylon fuel line in my '92 regal, it was spraying out gas for days before I repaired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend with a Cadillac Catera. 3.6l. the valve covers are directly over the exhaust manifolds on both sides. The driver side started to leak and poof fire. burned up alot on the driver side. I had to repair the whole harness, and lots of other stuff. runs good again but scary thought. Hopefully someone covers yours. also curious as to what nylon barb you are referring to?

sorry to hear about your car, this is some thing that has crossed my mind before, is that some thing insurance covers or does it all come out of pocket to repair.

Yes I have full coverage on my car and im getting an estimate done on it right now. the nylon hose bard was on the transmission line, and the weird thing is that it wasnt melted or anything it just ruptured, and i made sure it was replaced with a steel hose barb like the other line.