1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible door handle desperately need some help!!

imhottt1971

i have my 95 cutlass convertible the drivers side door handle broke i searched everywhere i could for a oe part with no luck i bought one from ebay. i threaded the the 2 studs and proceeded to replace the door handle it seems every week i have to adjust the threaded rod because my door will not open well tonight i tried opening my door and it would not open no matter how hard i pulled and i have no more room to move the adjuster up on the threaded rod any chance someone can help im pulling out my hair thank you

I had the same problem. My door handle on my driver's door won't sit flush like it is suppose to and I have to pull kinda hard to get my door open. And My nut is threaded all the way to the top also. Wish I could help you. Probably going to order a new one from RockAuto.com and see if that is a better door handle that what is on my car. They are pretty cheap.

If GM or now China i guess would put a small fucking wheel on that brass looking piece that makes contact with the lever the doorhandle we have wouldnt suck so much. Ive replaced mine on both sides at least 3 times in the last 6 or 7 years. I started rounding off the edge on this brass piece(thats what im going to call it til i figure out something better.) and rounding it off has made it last alot longer due to the fact its not shaving off little pieces of the longer lever. Give me some time and im going to go take some pics of what im going on about.

Forgot something, make sure the nuts that hold the actual handle on are as tight as you can get them, ditch the self threading nuts or at least go to a hardware store and get some new ones or just put some real threading on the studs in your door and use a real nut, you can also check the rod inside the door that operates the opening mech. for any kind of bending which would cause your doors not to open as well because they dont have enough travel.

Edited by rich_e777

i have the same problem myself my door handle will not sit flush

I had the same problem. My door handle on my driver's door won't sit flush like it is suppose to and I have to pull kinda hard to get my door open. And My nut is threaded all the way to the top also. Wish I could help you. Probably going to order a new one from RockAuto.com and see if that is a better door handle that what is on my car. They are pretty cheap.

Maybe I need to locate a spare for myself. I know there is a really good set in Cedar Rapids, Sunline JY, THey are really expensive though. If you want the info, PM me.

I am going to try what rich_e777 said to do and round off the square edge. Will let ya know if that works.

i have my 95 cutlass convertible the drivers side door handle broke i searched everywhere i could for a oe part with no luck i bought one from ebay. i threaded the the 2 studs and proceeded to replace the door handle it seems every week i have to adjust the threaded rod because my door will not open well tonight i tried opening my door and it would not open no matter how hard i pulled and i have no more room to move the adjuster up on the threaded rod any chance someone can help im pulling out my hair thank you

please let me know when you come up with something i am lost on what to do

Something like sixteen sentences, one period. Don't they teach punctuation in third grade any more?

You've been given good advice, in particular verifying that the linkage rods aren't bent, and that the mechanism is lubed so that it works freely. I would add that you should inspect the door striker to see if the door is sagging--the top of the striker will be worn if the door is drooping. That would require adjusting the door and/or rebuilding the hinges.

I suggest you start with those three and continue from there if needed.

Edited by Schurkey

I've had all these issues with our handles. When I get sick of it, I just go get another handle and put it on. Done it so much I can completely change one out in about 5 minutes. If anyone invents a better handle, or comes up with some way to fix all these issues..."You're gonna be my new best friend!"