Underhood Insulator - keep or toss?

Penglii

The general consensus around here is that removing the underhood insulating liner from our cars has no real negative consequences, correct?

I'm thinking about removing it from my TGP... it's torn in spots and really really grungy.

Seems to me that everyone who has removed theirs has been happy with the decision.

Figured I would double check though.

Thanks

Rock on... frankly I'm not sure how I stopped myself from ripping it out of there the very first time I bumped my head on it and then had to wash a bunch of gunk out of my hair. :lol:

it's for noise reduction right?

That's what I've heard... I've also heard other things, but the noise reduction is the one I find most believable.

I say as long as it's not indicating catastrophic engine failure or somesuch... the more underhood noise the better!

So anyway, I tore that crap out of the TGP posthaste. It's in the dumpster now where it belongs.

I swear... even with the corrosion and the incomplete factory underhood paint job, it looks way better without that damn rotten slimy cloth.

Now it's time to do the same to the sedan. :dance:

Edit: For that matter... if my engine is knocking or making any other unsavory noise... I sure as hell don't want that noise to be deadened!!! I want to be able to notice that jazz asap if it were to ever occur!!!

Edited by Penglii

^ Nice!

If it's in bad shape toss it. I only kept mine on my cars because they are in mint shape. Otherwise I would have thrown them out long ago.

i ditched mine and painted flat black

DSC00894.jpg

Actually, I yanked the hood insulator off the TGP before you had it. It was just pure primer under there though.

I just popped my insulation off, it was gross, had to run in the house and wash my hands with agent green. It looks a little funning now cuz I have that underhood extenda-light contraption. Can I buy new insulation somewhere, or do I paint the underside of the hood with VHT black header paint now? Maybe put some DYNA-MAT where the insulation was then paint that?

edit; this is a hood from a 1988 Cutlass Supreme that we put on our 1994 to get that '88 Indy 500 Pace Car look...never thought about the underside of the hood till now.

post-5754-143689102856_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689102866_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1988PhantomFE3

just spray paint it. it doesn't need to be expensive engine paint, it doesn't get that hot. on mine i used the $1 home depot rattle cans

What are the reasons to remove the liner? I got a '92 Regal and somehow with the previous owner some of the material got caught yanked by the alternator.

What are the reasons to remove the liner? I got a '92 Regal and somehow with the previous owner some of the material got caught yanked by the alternator.

No reason to remove it unless it's in bad shape/falling apart.

I'd find another one Ed...It can be trimmed where the light goes if it doesn't have that.

The Indy has one of those lights, but with a mercury switch. :D