1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GT trouble code 42

jovermoyer

First off I would like to thank anyone who can help me with this problem. I just found this site the other day when I was trying to find some information about the trouble codes for my car. I used to have a local mechanic who lived next store and would help me, but he has sinced moved away.

I am the 2nd owner on this grand prix and have had it for over fifteen years and it has been a great car. About a week ago I was heading home from the store and the check engine light came on. It was running fine, so I did not worry about. The next day I started looking into it and used the key I have to check for a code problem. I plugged the key in and the light flashed once and then twice, then it paused and flashed 4 times and the twice again. It flashed 42 3 times and back to 12. So from reading on another post it looks like my est is bad. Electronic Spark Timing? Is this correct? And if so, how do I repair it? Or do I have to take it to a garage?

obdcodes.jpg

Edited by jovermoyer