91 Grand prix coolant leak

94 olds vert

About 5 days ago driving the GP on the E-way low coolant light came on. Shortly after the temp started to climb up quickly.

Today was the first day I decided to mess with it. Filled up the radiator with water didn't see any leaks. Started it up and it leaks like crazy.

I couldn't visibly see any leaks coming from radiator. It's leaking farther back.

Shorty after pulling it into my backyard after filling with water. (car off)

cac34e74.jpg

This is when I filled it up on the street and started it up.

769f60a7.jpg

5e070898.jpg

Looks like it's leaking over the sub frame and not form the core support like I thought it would. Lower radiator hose is nice and dry. The water pump is only a couple years old and it's also dry.

It's not leaking from the overflow tank because that is empty. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When I bought my GP it was leaking from that hose that goes to the heater core, it was a pinhole leak but it leaked like crazy, bend that hose as the car is running and see if you can't find anything.

That stupid heater hose that goes from the waterpump area down the pass side and back up to the heater core?

that can be either replaced whole from napa for about $30 or just cut the rusty bit off and rubber hose it.

Pull off the drivers side wheel, remove the dust cover in there and have a good look at the heater core supply pipe. It has a support strap welded to it located just under the coolant recovery tank lower locator.

That weld point does rot, not to mention the entire pipe is subject to whatever gets thrown up on it.

^LOL.....you type faster than I do, that entry wasn't there when I decided to respond.

Edited by 55trucker

I found out it is the water pump. It's leaking from the underside.

I found the receipt from the shop that did it last year. I doubt it's under warranty, but I'll give them a call and see what they have to say tomorrow.

It looks pretty easy to replace the water pump on this 3.1

Well the pump wasn't the problem. I had that changed out and put back in really quick.

Still leaks like crazy and I cannot figure it out.

2c7c8084.jpg

0bbde1b7.jpg

e873e03b.jpg

Does the housing the pump sits in prone to cracking and leaking?

Did you use the coolant system pressure tester to find where the leak is?

There is a gasket behind the front cover assembly that seals the coolant pump ports to the engine block.

The gasket on the housing?

I bought felpro water pump gaskets and the small one that is for the top of the water pump.

How hard is it to pull that metal housing off?

Well, if the leak is the gasket behind the front cover that may be difficult to see as the flange for the gasket is well hidden, to get the front cover off means pulling everything from the front of the engine.

That's what I thought. That's a lot more work than I am willing to do right now.

The leak is pretty much a stream of coolant flowing out from behind the water pump area when the car is started up.