Serious weight loss...

rich17

Remove extra crap like seats. You have 2 buckets and a bench. Why have extra only can have one driver.

Toss out the spare tire? you have four not like your ever going to need a fifth. Cut off the exhaust that would make it sound wicked cool.

It's unfortunate, but most of the weight that could be saved would be from the rear of the car, making the car more front heavy :(. Trying to shave some time off your auto-x times? Some weaknesses are just built in

You can maybe save 100-150 by ripping out your interior. Not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Removing your complete air conditioning system- 20-30 lbs total. Not really worth the gain for the feature convenience it gives you.

Truth be told, there isn't a whole ton you can do to shave weight on these vehicles, short of taking it down to just the essentials, or getting glass/fiber panels made. You could always replace your glass with lexan, but $$$$$$$.

Or.... buy a good drill and several good hole saws, and start going to town.

Besides just gutting the interior, dash, and doors, where do you guys think a 1.5 Gen can lose the most weight?

Aluminum rims to replace steelies.

Remove all plastic and replace with carpet and tape.

Spare tire (at the track).

Let the bottom deteriorate with lots of salt & rust, but not too much.

Mirrors.

Aluminum rims to replace steelies.

Remove all plastic and replace with carpet and tape.

Spare tire (at the track).

Let the bottom deteriorate with lots of salt & rust, but not too much.

Mirrors.

Well, he does have that one thing checked off the list :D;)

actually when metal rusts it ends up heavier! that is unless it is flaking off.

first things first:

is this a track only car or will be driven on public roads?

• If track only:
    • -the front and rear bumpers have metal bumpers that can go. est 25lbs
    • AC system rad, compressor, condenser, all the lines. est 20 lbs
    • race battery est 5-10 lbs
    • Airbag removal and steering wheel swap to older lumina or lumina Z34 that did not have one. est 5-10 lbs

[*]If street:

• the front and rear metal bumper supports might be able to be replaced by aluminum tubes if you do the math and make sure the replacements have the same strength as the originals. to me not worth the est 10 lbs you would save vs the safety risk if in an accident . est 10 lbs
    • Passenger window. remove motor and bolt it up. est 5 lbs
    • swap to a smaller radiator and shorten any hoses to reduce overall fluid weight est 5 lbs
    • light weight wheels with smaller dia tires. i run 245/45-17's and you could go smaller to a 225 tire est 20 lbs
    • cut metal frame from under the hood and use hood pins. est 5 lbs
    • or i know for 5th gen montes there was a fiberglass front end kit was a front clip and hood. would have to cut out for lights and air for rad. was like 1-2k for the set. might save 30-40 lbs
    • light weight exhaust via side pipe. est 10lb
    • change to a different upper mount and loose the heavy coil/mount. mount the ICM on firewall or somewhere else and make or find different mount or cut it down. ext 3-4 lbs
    • stereo delete. speakers, head unit, wires, antenna wire. est 25-30 lbs
    • if you have power seats remove and swap for slider est 5 lbs
    • back seats top and bottom 10 lbs pass seat and rail 10 lbs total est 20 lbs
    • drilled brake rotors.

the only other things i can recommend is that any engine parts that you can port will increase performance and lower weight slightly and if you go to light weight pulleys for accessories.

like said before, the driver weight reduction is often easier and better for your own health too. i know i could benefit from it lately....

Could probably remove the rear brakes (calipers + discs), and rely 100% on the fronts.

Catalytic converter could be deleted.

Edited by pitzel