F*@king '92 GTP trip odometer!

crazyd

Just spent my entire day scouring the junkyard for a trip OD (took one from a '92 sedan) and trying to replace the one in my '92 GTP. It gets stuck at the .9's for about a mile and eventually gives up after ticking off 2-3 miles, and it has been this way as long as I've had the car (8 yrs).

I tried installing the junkyard "mileage module" directly into my IP, but the trip OD didn't line up correctly (offset by about 1/8" to the left). After disassembling them both and trying to figure out how they worked, I noticed some major differences between them - most notably a different reset mechanism, different mounting configurations for the axles, and - the cause of the offset - a "divider wall" of sorts between the 1's digit and the tenths digit, with a wider drive gear behind them. This made mixing & matching the parts prohibitive. This is the THIRD cluster I've been unable to make a working trip OD from, and I have no idea why it would be different on the same year with a nearly-identical cluster between the sedan and coupe.

I've been kicking at this for months now and I don't know where to go next with it. Has anyone else had this problem with their trip OD and found a solution?

Here is the complete module with the newer reset mechanism and divider door

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4283&g2_serialNumber=2

Here is a comparison of the two modules, older on top, newer on bottom. Note the subtle difference between the bottom parts:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4279&g2_serialNumber=5

Here are the cages with the respective reset mechanisms, green is older, pink is newer. Note the far-right drive gear difference, green one is skinny gray, pink one is wide black:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4269&g2_serialNumber=2

Once disassembled it was obvious why the reset wasn't working on mine, the left two legs are broken off:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4273&g2_serialNumber=2

Can't imagine why they'd be different between a coupe and sedan, but that is my first suspicion. Perhaps your cluster(or the new one) was replaced at some point - possibly with a different year cluster, or a slightly revised GM replacement? Seems possible that the entire dash may swap while the individual components could have some slight differences.

Will the drive mechanisms not swap between the two styles? Seems like if anything you could maybe grind the lower post off the newer one, that larger drive mechanism shouldn't be an issue, though its hard to tell spacing differences from pictures alone.

No but WOW your car is HOT!!!

Thanks NF! More pix here.

Can't imagine why they'd be different between a coupe and sedan, but that is my first suspicion. Perhaps your cluster(or the new one) was replaced at some point - possibly with a different year cluster, or a slightly revised GM replacement? Seems possible that the entire dash may swap while the individual components could have some slight differences.

Will the drive mechanisms not swap between the two styles? Seems like if anything you could maybe grind the lower post off the newer one, that larger drive mechanism shouldn't be an issue, though its hard to tell spacing differences from pictures alone.

Yeah, I tried swapping them around and it didn't fit. I also just realized it was a '94 sedan I pulled it from, not a '92. There were two cars there, a '92 and '94 and I mixed up which was which. I'm gonna go back over and pull the other one today.

Actually, the '94 sedan's cluster was almost identical to the one in my '92, which is why I pulled that one instead. The other car that was there, the '92 coupe, had an entirely different cluster and the odometer was mounted in a different location, but turned out to be the right one.

133623854659077.jpg

Edited by crazyd

the 94 sedans didn't update their interiors(clusters included) like the coupes did in 94?

Yes they did.

They marked the car wrong. It's probably a '93. '94 started the ugly dash.

Anyway, Chris has done a shit ton of work on these clusters.. maybe he'll chime in.