Steering column swap....

BrianK82

Is it possible and what complications would arrise in swapping the steering column out of my 94' Cutlass Supreme with one from say a 91-93? I really hate that the steering wheel on my 94' completely blocks all air coming from the vents. I feel like the design was a compromise to put an air bag wheel in when the instrument panel redesign wasn't quite ready yet. I want to swap the entire column from an older car in. I realize I will lose my airbag, but I can pull the fuse to turn the light off on the dash and not having one does not really bother me. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd just change the wheel. There is so much to change that it just wouldn't be beneficial to what you want to do.

I don't know exactly what you would do with the steering wheel controls at this time - I'm really sick today - but if your car doesn't have them, then no problem there.

It's been awhile since I drove the 94 since it's my wife's daily, but I don't think the older steering wheel is a whole ton better. The placement of the vents is just terrible. I still end up getting pretty warm, but of course, my hands get ice cold. Basically, not sure it would be worth the effort.

Actually, I did notice on my 89 that I can adjust the right vent to where I can feel the air on my face. I still mostly feel it on my hand when driving though! On the left side, it's hopeless. The blinker stalk and tilt lever stick straight out on the 88-93 column and blocks 80-90% of the air. In 94, the stalk is angled out of the way a little so maybe a 94 column with an older wheel on it would be the best combo for least blockage, but I don't know if you can put an older wheel on a newer column. I don't think the improvement will be enough to bother with, especially when you take into account the hit in safety with losing the airbag. This is one of those things that has me really surprised it made it past the design stage because it only takes a 5-minute drive on a hot summer day to realize the design is crap.