gauge cluster question

cameron7710

well my mom has a 89 cutlass supreme with the basic digital gauges (fuel,speed,odometer) and they work when they wants to they normaly work when i drive it but my mom says that it never works when she drives it so i have gone to the junk yard to get new gauges but all i can ever find are the non digital analog gauges. i was just wondering if they would work or is the wiring is differnt?

the base digital cluster is crap and they have always been flaky.

either upgrade to the full digi package or go with an analog set, those are your only real options.

depending on WHY these clusters fail so much, it may be an easy fix, but it's not something i've messed with myself, so IDK.

It's the soldering joints on the back of the circuit board, over time they get weak and have to be resoldered. Affects Supremes and Regals, not sure if it affects the Grand Prix as well.

Edited by emb1230

First gen GPs have the soldering problem too

that's an understatement. :lol:

if i were a smart guy...... i'd go over to the junkyard and pick up every single GP UB3 cluster, resolder them, sell on ebay for MASSIVE profit.

At least in the CS all 3 were digital: speed, gas, odo, and trip, the Regal is the STUPIDEST design I've ever seen: Digital speed, mechanical Odo & gas gauge (which BTW is very hard to read) and NO trip at all!! post-4495-143689100711_thumb.jpghere's the one in our 89 GS...LAME!!

Edited by emb1230

• 2 months later...