1994 Cutlass Supreme HUD installation.

IrvineADL

Hello all, I'm a long time reader of this site but I just got around to registering, specifically to find any help to my dilemma.

I am trying to install a Heads up Display on my 1994 Cutlass Supreme WITHOUT automatic climate control. I was at the junkyard and found a Heads up Display from a 92 Cutlass Supreme. I took the HUD, dimmer and height switches, dash, and wires. The problem now is that I am completely dumbfounded of how to wire it in. I did search the forums and I found pin read outs but this is the first time I've ventured into the electrical mod forest and and I am terrified of permanently maiming or causing some horrible ungodly electrical fire to my car.

Now, my main question is what am I wiring the HUD wires too? Like really, I have no clue where to wire them too. Pictures of donor HUD's installed on Cutlass Supreme's like mine would help tremendously. If that's not possible however, can someone assist me in a very N00b level of explaining the complete instructions to installing this? Installing this HUD has become the car equivalent of landing a man on the moon for me.

Thanks in advance,

-IrvineADL

Good luck:thumbsup:

Been on the lookout for one myself but no luck in the yard near me. I read alittle bit and there is alot of wiring work involved. Its going to be similar to the car you pulled it from so i hope you was paying attention.

Unfortunately it is not pre-wired. With that in mind, where do I connect the HUD wires too? The wires that lead into the main instrument cluster?

What route (path) should I run the HUD Control wires and cable along the dash, from the Sportspod to the top of the dash cluster area? If anyone has a pic, that would be best for me. (Never read Playboy, just looked at the pictures :o)

The HUD control wire. Goes up from the sport pod around the ECC and around the radio to the right. Then behind the radio run it along the bottom of the windshield. Then put it under the bracket for the HUD.

I've been rackin my brain trying to figure out how to mount the DIS...stupid me just looked at the back of the sportspod surround...DUH!!!:P Thanks for the drawing too, YOU'RE so knowledgable with all this stuff. If I ever make it to a meet, I hope eveyone has their screenname on T shirts!

Unfortunately it is not pre-wired. With that in mind, where do I connect the HUD wires too? The wires that lead into the main instrument cluster?

Yes the wires that go to the cluster are the ones you will connect to the HUD. You will need the speedo wire, check guages, turn singals, brights, fuel gauge line( not sure if that applies to a CS. Then you can also get your power and grounds from the cluster as well.

If you only want the speedo to work on the HUD, then just connect that and only have a digital read out for the MPH.

http://i.imgur.com/gXbOV.png

http://i.imgur.com/9HR8f.png

Edited by 94 olds vert

I've been rackin my brain trying to figure out how to mount the DIS...stupid me just looked at the back of the sportspod surround...DUH!!!:P Thanks for the drawing too, YOU'RE so knowledgable with all this stuff. If I ever make it to a meet, I hope eveyone has their screenname on T shirts!

LOL Everyone needs stickers that say "Hello my screenname is ..."

I agree. I would love to make it to a meet to meet you all. I really appreciate all the help you have all given me. I am so excited to have this car. It doesn't look as good as all the ones on here. But, it is almost 20 years old. But I bought it for a project.

I'm doing the HUD, Digi Dash, and DIS all at the same time. I'm sure I'll get lost here and there, so please bare with me if I ask too many questions. I saved your drawing/diagrams to my desktop and plan on refering to them often! Also going thru all the threads to pick info up there too. I'm a little unclear exactly where to splice into the main harness and what to run where for everything to work? I also thought the HUD was prewired and I didn't have to run anything else anywhere else? I did find that connector behind the ECC.

Most 94s should be prewired. Check behind the cluster and headlight switch should be an unused blue connector tied up with electrical tape.

The small 3 or 4 pin connector you may have to look hard to find. Did you remove the ECC? It can be tucked in there quite well.

I found the connector by the ECC, but haven't looked for anything by the headlight switch, what's that connector for by the headlight switch if I find one?

If I screw up the wiring, whats the worst possible thing that could go wrong? A catastrophic car fire/explosion? I don't want Hiroshima happening in my driveway.

If you completely botch it, like cross the hot in run with the hot all the time wires. You might get some smoke or something. I dunno.

Just take your time and do it right once. No point in rushing it and having to go back and try to fix it later.

It shouldn't be too hard to wire in since most if not all the wires will be color coded and will match perfectly.

How badly you screw things up is subjective to how badly you let yourself screw it up. Most everything you're wiring is fused so at the very least if you wire something wrong you will pop a fuse. If you wire something REALLY wrong it's possible to kill the HUD, or like 94 olds vert says, burn some wires. Connecting two wires together is not hard. Figuring out what wires are to be joined and where isn't hard either, just time consuming. Taking your time and double checking your information and work is key. If it makes things easier for you, post the pinout information you have and I'd be glad to give you a color-to-color guide. I'm not sure how the colors are on 92 and 94 but when I installed 88-90 HUD in my non-HUD 89, there were some differences.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently drove a 2011 Grand Sport with the HUD, never driven a car with this feature before, but I loved it, and the car of course. On that note, mine is a 94 with a L67 swap in progress which means diff ECM. Will a 92-94 HUD still work?

IRVINE, any progress? Mine's pretty much plug and play cuz I'm pre-wired, but I'm researching the addition of a UB3 Digi Cluster to add at the same time. Not to mention the DIS too!

Let me know of any issues you run into so I can figure out if I have the same ones please :biggrin:

"WIRE THE PLANET! ... wait...that's been done...":dance: