95 Vert, How much would you Buy/Sell for?

pshojo

I recently saw a 95 vert, red with black interior, 118k miles. It has DOHC motor that isn't running. So, i was thinking about putting my 90k motor in this and sell it. I would do timing belt, water pump, while it is out. It doesn't show any rust on the body, there of course is on the suspension, but is pretty clean. How much do you think I could sell this for once I put the motor in, cleaned up, replaced brakes and fix any moldings ect since there are two of these in the junk yard right now that i can get spare parts. I can include pics. $2000, 2500, 1500? Thanks

You could probably get away with selling it with that top. Mine looked similar -- actually worse -- and it wasn't until I bought the Olds dealer convertible service video that I realized how much it had shrunk.

The car isn't running so that puts the value at about $500. Even though there are people on craigslist who are selling wrecks with bad engines/transmissions and thinking they will get $1,000, I would say don't pay more than $500 for something you have to tow home.

For buying it and trying to make it worth anything, that just won't happen. Let us be honest - no one is going to want to pay more than $1,500 for a 17 year old car. I know KBB says otherwise but I think that site is a bit optimistic.

You know how a lot of "private party" car buyers are - they want something "like new" for next to nothing. I used to have this ford contour that was missing 2nd and 4th gear yet everything else about the car was immaculate and could not even unload it for $400. It did run, just had to drive it a certain way so it would hit 3rd gear.

The problem with used cars in the $1,500 - $4,000 range is this - if someone has that kind of cash laying around for a car, they are more likely to put it as a down payment on something newer from a reputable car lot. Most people aren't gonna pay that to some private seller for a car that the A/C doesn't work, has weird noises in the suspension, engine makes a knocking noise on start-up, yet all these problems are "easy fixes". They always say that. I always thought "If it is an easy fix, why don't they fix it and try to get more out of the car?"

Anyways if you wanted to buy it for your own use, it could make a really nice ride.

If it looks clean and runs decent, I don't think 2500 is that far off. The top is going to hurt the price a bit since it looks like it'll need replacing soon.

He said he would take $500, but it again is about 4 hrs away. I would have to have it towed, so that brings my cost up to $900, or around $700 and full day if I get it. A new top runs $1200 around here. I've never put top on one, so I am not sure how tough it might be. So, i'm already up close to $2000 before I sell it. so, anyone looking for decent vert?

http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/cto/3000230719.html

It's worth $500 in my book. If someone here gets it, I'll give you the front side markers for it, U pay shipping..."Hope that just sweetened the deal!"

PS, why $400 for hauling it home, gas$ ?

Edited by 1988PhantomFE3

Yeah, just not much room for profit in flipping these cars. Especially when the hood doesn't match and motor doesn't run. For all you know, transmission might be bad too. Might be possible to get it up and running and make a few bucks though.

I got a 1979 Chevy Van once for $300, towed it home charged the battery and put the distributor wires in the correct order, fired right up! I think I sold it later for about $600...you just never know until you get into it. Of course I worked with the lady and she told me it ran great until her son tuned it up, that was the first clue, he was 14 years old. I tried to offer her a little more money after I got it running, she just kept saying a deal is a deal. Our kids loved the van for over a year before I sold it :dance:

You could probably get away with selling it with that top. Mine looked similar -- actually worse -- and it wasn't until I bought the Olds dealer convertible service video that I realized how much it had shrunk.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the video from?

If it was within couple hours, I'd go look at it and probably buy it . But when shipping gets involved, it sure eats up the money.

These cars will slowly vanish if nobody puts the love(and money) into them they need. This car has scrapyard written all over it at this point.

It is on the line , the car cOuld be a good driver especially after little cleaning and different engine . I fortunately have spare DOHC when I find good car to put it in.

Buy it with the intention of keeping it, get it running, then see if you can get some money out of it, but don't start crying if you can't. Just enjoy it.

I just bought the 95 3Xwhite for $2800. It's really amazing what you can do with trim pieces from the junk yard if you keep looking. My 93 looked great by the time I sold it just from changing out worn buttons and things. A guy near me quoted 675 to replace the top if the window apron is good.

We have access to a car hauler for these kind of things, it can eat up some gas behind the F350, but it's way cheaper on us to do it than paying some Company to.

I would snap this up in a heartbeat if it were local and $500.

If it was running, no rust, and clean, even with that top, I would consider $1500-2500 for it.

I think if you replaced the motor and the small parts, forget the top, and clean it up, you could have it sold for over $2000.