282, what vehicles did it come in?

pshojo

I'm looking for 282 and axle shafts. I've been looking on car-parts.com . Do you know what makes and years 282 came in? I thought there was a thread about this. Before I purchase something I really want to know what I'm buying. Thanks.

Oh, as far as strengths, I agree with those who say the 282 is strong enough. Did you ever see the 282 S/C Trofeo?

http://www.theautoshop.net/SuperchargedTrofeo.htm

Are you aware the 284 and 282 is completely different? ie. if you buy that 284 Cutlass and you try to put a 282 in it, you need to replace with a 282 version clutch, clutch hydraulics and shifter cables. The axles I am not positive if they transfer or not.

EDIT: you will want to find a V6 w-body 282 which will come in an 88-90 cutlass or Grand Prix. Some 90's had a quad 4 which will not bolt up 100% unless you switch the bellhousing, and the gearing is different too.

I currently have one set of foot pedals/firewall plate, clutch reservoir with the hoses and cable from pedal to trans, shift cables, shifter that came from 1990 cutlass Supreme with quad 4 (282)

Would the 90-94 282's work as well? or is it just because the gearing is different. Maybe i forget the 284 Cutty and just look for rest of 282 parts?

After looking at the list, looks like the achieva SCX had LSD diff? There is one in minnesota being parted out. What is involved in swapping bell housings? This might be good trans then?

Wow factory LSD differentials are rare upon rare. I believe swapping bell housings envolves basically careful separation and re-assembly of the casing, new gasket, thats about it.

I currently have one set of foot pedals/firewall plate, clutch reservoir with the hoses and cable from pedal to trans, shift cables, shifter that came from 1990 cutlass Supreme with quad 4 (282)

Would the 90-94 282's work as well? or is it just because the gearing is different. Maybe i forget the 284 Cutty and just look for rest of 282 parts?

Right! forgot you had those parts. You will still need a w-body or A-body 282 to swap the cases for mounting purposes(trans mount and bellhousing). Those gears and LSD would be kick ass to have tho when you find a w-body 282 trans.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a complete 282 setup, 80k miles for $450. Would you put this onto DOHC? Would the flywheel be off of 3.4 and use clutch from 282?

good question. Looks like he had the engine rebuilt this last year and also had fluid changed in the trans earlier. I don't know if there really is any good way of telling? I'm glad he actually changed fluid. The car was in pretty nice shape.. But doesn't mean he didn't drive it like he stole it.

Pre 90 vs Post 90 Trans. i've looked at the info provided, looks like 88-90 and 91-94 had changes, I also was looking at Rock Auto and see there are Transmission mounts for the 88 and the 91, but they are different. Are the cradles different? Wonder which mounts i'd need in order to put this in my 95 sedan? thoughts.

Pre 90 vs Post 90 Trans. i've looked at the info provided, looks like 88-90 and 91-94 had changes, I also was looking at Rock Auto and see there are Transmission mounts for the 88 and the 91, but they are different. Are the cradles different? Wonder which mounts i'd need in order to put this in my 95 sedan? thoughts.

88-90 = 282

91-94 = 284

You couldn't get a 5 speed with a 3.1 after 1990...Except in Mexico.

or a different platform....

there were LH0/5 speed W's in 1991(or later?) in mexico?

ok, that's why there are transmissions available and cables ect for the 282 still. But some of the other parts look different.

or a different platform....

there were LH0/5 speed W's in 1991(or later?) in mexico?

No, the Ciera came with a 282 up to 1996. There aren't a lot of Ws in Mexico.