Changing the color of the Driver Information Center DIC

yorxs

Just bought a Gentex mirror with temperature and the seller offered to change the LED color to Pontiac Red. This got me thinking, I've always disliked that the DIC color was green instead of red/orange like the rest of the interior displays. Has anyone ever opened it up and to see if there is a replaceable lens to change the color to red?

How the heck to you find this stuff? Seems like 3 letter words are ignored by the search. Everything I need to search for is 3 letters. GTP, LQ1, DIC, RED.

I personally never use the search function on the board. IMO it's not that great. Go to Google.com type in "Site:w-body.com 'type in key words here' ". Then search away.

I was just getting ready to tear into the Dic to see what it would take to change the color,,glad this came up!

This should be a sticky or in a "how to" articals

I just need to know how to hook up the DIS in a car that never had it? I'd change my colors on it if I could change all the other colors in the dash too just so they all match.

I just need to know how to hook up the DIS in a car that never had it? I'd change my colors on it if I could change all the other colors in the dash too just so they all match.

Are you talking about your CS?

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/43927-Cutlass-DIS-installation-info

Take a look at Ken's post in this thread. He always has the best info.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/50291-DIC-into-a-92-Cutlass-International/page2

I've installed a DIS into my CS. It's not very hard to do at all.

/end hijack.

Anyone seen an article on opening up a DIC on the 1993 and older Grand Prix?. Looks like it is in cased by 2 covers one is the center console, but the DIC is sealed inside a second one, I didn't see any screws holding it together though.

Since we're reviving the thread - what the hell is the material he used for the cover/lens? Colored Plexiglass or?

Vinyl Sheeting? But anyway here is an Ebay ad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transparent-Red-Plastic-Sign-Vinyl-Sheeting-with-adhesive-3-sheets-/380415359185?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589285b8d1&vxp=mtr

That's kind of surprising it works - would think that the red cover would filter out most all of the green LCD characters. I know one thing I want to change is the damn back lighting - it's brighter when the lights are off, so if I turn my headlight switch to object marker/foglights, you can barely see the indicators for what mode you're in :(.