grand prix or fiero? show me pros and cons

Marcus18

Do Fireos have Transaxles?????

*thinks*

I can't remember right now... I should, but I pretty much just woke up, lol

it's almost the exact same as an FWD... if not exactly the same

Yes the Fiero has a transaxle. The HM-282 in the Fiero is almost the exact same the the Grand prix HM-282. I think the only differences are the mouting locations and the final drive ratio. And whoever wrote about the 88 fieros is right on the money. Don't go out looken for anything but an 88. The suspension was improved on the 88's. The 88 gt's are bad to the bone , and if you can find one, the Formulas are the same thing as a GT , but in notchback , not fastback form. The formulas have the same drivetrain, and suspension as the GT's but they are about 200 lbs lighter. Only 5280 Formulas were made though.

I've pretty much decided on a fiero. the main problem with them is the manual transmission can't handle the power I want. I don't want a auto.

v8+turbo = trnny go boom!

v6+turbo= not as much power but tranny can still go boom.

4L= turbo= not enough torque

I can't see myself haveing enough money for the new performance tranny right now.

the rpm issue.....http://mclements.net/mrc-PowerTorque.html

thats what made my want rpm. if I get the same torque at higher rpm as most get at low I can cut my gears down and multiply the torque.

marcus

I've pretty much decided on a fiero. the main problem with them is the manual transmission can't handle the power I want. I don't want a auto.

v8+turbo = trnny go boom!

v6+turbo= not as much power but tranny can still go boom.

4L= turbo= not enough torque

I can't see myself haveing enough money for the new performance tranny right now.

marcus

you really need to talk to Archie (http://www.v8archie.com) he will help you with the tranny concerns, I think his phone # is on the site, call him.....there are quite a few fieros @400hp without tranny problems....

...on a side note, the fiero came with at least 3 maybe even 4 different manual trannies......

• 1 month later...

I haven't done anything yet. I'm thinking about getting a fiero that is down the road for $750. 2800 pound car+chevy 302 at 7000rpm+12psi of boost= one heck of a burnout.

RWD conversion would be a cool project but right now I want something alittle more simple.

marcus

Going your needs I don't know why you don't buy a RWD car that already has power, and responds to mods well, and has lots of mods out there.

Like, the Mustang.. Sorry to say, but tell me another car that matches the bill as good. Get yourself a decent stang and swap in a cobra motor or something. DOHC V8's are where it's at.

I'd personally never get a fiero, that car was so half-assed together by GM. But to each his own.

I bet you'll like this site though, pretty god damn cool.

http://www.gopc.com/F355/F355x.html

I especially liked his choice of engine, and the build up that was done.

if you must have the RWD, the Fiero is the only choice...the GP is a boss car but a conversion to RWD would cost a fortune...of course if you had the shop and the tools and the skill yourself then why stop at just RWD? lose the back seat (the fiero doesnt have one anyways) and install the entire FWD assembly amidships...you'd have to gut the floor for a new subframe for RWD so why not go exotic?

the fiero has been the darling of the kit car industry for some time now and the parts and know-how out there is phenomenal...from simple bolt-on to full blown chassis stretch with mid engine V8s check out kitcar.com and kitcars.com for lots of info...you can even get a project that someone else started and save big$$$....from classified ads to raw fiberglass to turn-key cars....its all there.

btw....has anyone tried to install a northstar V8 in a w-body?...is there room in the engine bay for the caddy or olds aurora V8?...the power would be great, but oh how I love that V8 rumble!

if you must have the RWD, the Fiero is the only choice...the GP is a boss car but a conversion to RWD would cost a fortune...of course if you had the shop and the tools and the skill yourself then why stop at just RWD? lose the back seat (the fiero doesnt have one anyways) and install the entire FWD assembly amidships...you'd have to gut the floor for a new subframe for RWD so why not go exotic?

the fiero has been the darling of the kit car industry for some time now and the parts and know-how out there is phenomenal...from simple bolt-on to full blown chassis stretch with mid engine V8s check out kitcar.com and kitcars.com for lots of info...you can even get a project that someone else started and save big$$$....from classified ads to raw fiberglass to turn-key cars....its all there.

btw....has anyone tried to install a northstar V8 in a w-body?...is there room in the engine bay for the caddy or olds aurora V8?...the power would be great, but oh how I love that V8 rumble!

the N* engines and trans are way to big to fit in a first gen W