grand prix or fiero? show me pros and cons

Marcus18

I've been looking into get either a 88 fiero gt or a 95 grand prix gtp.

so far I've come up with:

grand prix pros:

interior is cool looking and has alot of options.

has the 3.4DOHC installed already.

has a cool looking exterior.

cons:

FWD I want RWD so I'd have to convert it.

weighs around 3200 plus

has little- no body kits

fiero gt pros:

RWD

mid engine

has body kits that make it exotic looking.

cool exterior(though not as cool as gp from factory)

cons:

doesn't come with 3.4

interior needs some work

not as many options.

it's 25 years old

thats all I can think of right now.

the grand prix seems to be a turn key. the fiero seems like it would have more perfomance and looks potential.

what do you guy an gals think?

marcus

I've been looking into get either a 88 fiero gt or a 95 grand prix gtp.

so far I've come up with:

grand prix pros:

interior is cool looking and has alot of options.

has the 3.4DOHC installed already.

has a cool looking exterior.

cons:

FWD I want RWD so I'd have to convert it.

weighs around 3200 plus

has little- no body kits

fiero gt pros:

RWD

mid engine

has body kits that make it exotic looking.

cool exterior(though not as cool as gp from factory)

cons:

doesn't come with 3.4

interior needs some work

not as many options.

it's 25 years old

thats all I can think of right now.

the grand prix seems to be a turn key. the fiero seems like it would have more perfomance and looks potential.

what do you guy an gals think?

marcus

Um, that fiero is not 25 years old, lol. Its no even 20, its fifteen :)

Im not to familiar with fieros myself, maybe someone else can help.

John

are you good with a wrench? like you said, mr rwd give the fiero a distinct advantage in terms of potential, but if you can't do the swap yourself, things get expensive real fast.

id go with the fiero, probably one with a v6 and manual transmission, then you can swap in the 3.1 and build that up and have a screamer, plus dont the fieros have speakers in the headrests?? :D

yeah...but it would be hard to get a 3.1 to 8000rpm safely.

and I have a turbo 3.1 now and it is a good engine but the redline kills me.

I raced a s2000 the other day and I had him until I shifted(4500) which I'm having transmission problems could have had something to do with it. but after I got my engine back up from the shift I had no top end to even come close to him. :cry:

marcus

4g63t swap into a fiero would be nice, I've seen a website on it before but I can't find it right now. Of course, I'm a little biased.

Anyway, if you have the tools and the know-how, I'd get the Fiero.

haz: I'll probably get flack for this but if going twin engine....what about two vtec 4's in back side by side longitude mounted. 8 cylinders! 8-9000rpm redling to match the lambo theme.

just a crazy thought.

marcus

i probally wont go twin engin i posted a thread bout it just to see bout it n someone suggested i do it but i dont think i need that kind of power i think 1 chevy small block will do the trcik for me

if you are going for performance, get the fiero, then you can drop a v8 northstar engine in it and watch it go 12s in the 1/4 mile.... i have a friend that did that and its freekin fast

yeah...but it would be hard to get a 3.1 to 8000rpm safely.

and I have a turbo 3.1 now and it is a good engine but the redline kills me.

I raced a s2000 the other day and I had him until I shifted(4500) which I'm having transmission problems could have had something to do with it. but after I got my engine back up from the shift I had no top end to even come close to him. :cry:

marcus

redlining at 15 grand isn't gonna help unless you have the power in there.

a 'Vette will tear the S2000 a new asshole, and it redlines at like 6K or something like that....

anyway, the Fiero is better performance wise, but the Prix has more cargo space :lol:

Hands down the Fiero is the way to go (performance wise).

I have a 89 Cutlass supreme , and a 1988 Fiero Formula. Both are addictive, but the Fiero is a sports car. With the right engine it will out run, out handle , out break and out shine, and Grand prix. Nothing wrong with Grand Prix’s. I love them , but I tend to think of them more as a luxury/sport combo.

Facts:

The Fiero is Mid Engine & rear wheel drive (you already noted this)

The Fiero weighs in anywhere from 2680 lbs to 2800 lbs. The grand prix is probably more like 3300-3400 lbs.

The Fiero is lower to the ground and more aerodynamic.

The Fiero can “more easily” accommodate a v8.

There are WAY more performance parts available fir the Fiero. (Swaps included)

2seats vs 4

The weight ratio front to back is closer to the 50/50 goal with a Fiero than a GP.

Just my .02 , and like I said, I love the GP, but performance wise, I love the Fiero (more).

I have owned two fieros, an 89GP LE (3.1), and 94 GTP (3.4), and a 97 Cutty....I would hands down pick the Fiero...especially the 88GT, it is the best handling one they made. the 3.4 is a elementary swap into the fiero, and the 3800SC can go into very easily and cheap....not to mention the V8's

go to http://www.fiero.nl and search engine swap

....you WILL become addicted within a half hour.....

Converting a Grand Prix to RWD is extremely cost intensive, the Fiero would be the more practical choice based on what you want.

That is for sure. If you insist on RWD, the only practical choice is the Fiero.

redlining at 15 grand isn't gonna help unless you have the power in there.

a 'Vette will tear the S2000 a new asshole, and it redlines at like 6K or something like that....

Ditto on that too. Having an ultra high redline doesn't make the car fast. Its the power produced in the operating range of the engine, whatever the operating range is. Also, if you want 8000 rpm or whatever, neither the DOHC nor the 3.1 will last without extreme modifications, not to mention the fact that neither has the breathing ability to rev that high, especially the 3.1.

you will find that a fresh 350 in a fiero will blow your pants off, not to mention all of the easy easy easy mods you can get for a SBC and there are so many things out there you can do to make a naturally aspirated 350 have 400 horsepower easily, and you can bet there will be around the same amount of torque, all of that in a little fiero? hold on! that would be sweet, my dad once dreamed out loud of putting a vortec supercharged 400 smallblock from a cparice into a fiero, but that was a while ago, now i had a 4 year old brother and my dad doesnt have any toys at all, just the vette... no jet skis or snowmobiles or anything :(