Motor mount question

W30post

I haven't been on in a long while guys but I need some help. I see a lot of talk about replacing motor mounts and the differences in hydrolic, rubber and poly.

I see a lot of the factory ones just leak and then degrade themselves until they are gone. I have a strange ride issue with my 2004 Monte Carlo SS with 88Kmiles on the clock.. The car can ride smooth as glass but develops a bounce at very unpredictable times. Usually under deceleration from 50 to 20 under the cars own reduction of speed, no braking.

Wheel bearings are tight, tires have been replaced and road force balanced with results less than 25 lbs per tire of run-out difference. I took it to a shop and they believe the CVs were starting to get weak as they could see some wobble during the movement of the drivetrain while they were under the car. I let them replace the axles as a shot gun approach. There was little to no change.

What does a car feel like when the lower mounts are giving up? Do any of you feel a difference after replacing the mounts in the ride quality? The difference between empty tank of fuel and topped off is a big difference but there is still some bouncing in the seat. Any thoughts?

Forgot to add that the car has no check engine lights and runs out fine from what I can tell behind the wheel. There is a light amount of bump when changing from reverse to drive but I'm not sure if that is in my head or not.

Edited by W30post

Best thing for checking motor mounts is to have someone in the car hold the brakes as hard as they can, then put it in drive and watch and see how much the engine moves... Do the same for reverse, even revving it a little will help too as that will bring out even more play in the mounts

Best thing for checking motor mounts is to have someone in the car hold the brakes as hard as they can, then put it in drive and watch and see how much the engine moves... Do the same for reverse, even revving it a little will help too as that will bring out even more play in the mounts

I appreciate the response here Al. I pulled the upper dog bones loose and I can move the motor around without much effort. I believe the mounts may be bad. The shop looking at the car today says they believe the mounts are good. So we are at a stalemate for now.

The real question is, will this fix my seat shaking during deceleration. Has anyone seen a difference in driver seat vibrations after changing the mounts?

That's normal. Doesn't mean the mounts are bad. I got a feeling you have something else going on. Not a mount issue.

Mounts should still be in pretty good shape with the mileage you have.

That's normal. Doesn't mean the mounts are bad. I got a feeling you have something else going on. Not a mount issue.

Mounts should still be in pretty good shape with the mileage you have.

This car has been to the drag strip a couple times just for fun and leaves pretty hard:thumbsup:. It has had some abuse on these mounts. It is fully stock though except replacement axles, and front wheel bearings..