Leaking Fuel from passenger side of engine!

97GTPFreak

Ok So I have owned my GTP Since Feb 8th and I am finding more more and more crap that this douche bag did to this car well now I found out I am leakinf gas from the very first injector on passenger side of motor! I have been told its the O-Ring! But now my question is how can you tell if its the o-ring or the injector???and also is there a oring in the fuel rale itself? please please help! Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Amber:think:

wheres it leaking from? there is a O ring on both the top and bottom of the injector. if they were installed without oiling/greasing up the ring before install it can rip and cause that.

I'd expect it to be the upper, fuel rail-to-injector o-ring. If defective, the upper O-ring would leak any time the fuel pump was running, and for awhile after shut-down, too. The bottom O-ring is sealing vacuum, not fuel pressure.

Another possibility: Cracked fuel rail, or cracked fuel rail "cup" that the O-ring seals against.

Im praying its just the o-ring cause a new injector I priced at oreilys and they told me 85 bucks! and see the guy I bought it from said he home bored the blower so... maybe he nicked it when he was fucking around under there and the way the fuel flows is like a waterfall from top of injector to the bottom

yes you are right it is while running and shortly after shut down it looks a waterfall leaks from top to bottom and the guy before me home bored the blower I guess so Im thinking maybe he nicked it while he was under the hood and messing with that

hopefully its just that. if the injector is actually broken you could probably find one on craigslist or in the classifieds here for far less then $85

I really hope its just the O-ring! :( so now my next question how easy is it to change that top o-ring?

Changing the O-ring couldn't be easier. Peel the old one off. Lube the new one with damn near anything--a drop of motor oil, a touch of silicone grease--and push the O-ring into the groove on the injector body. Push the injector body back into the fuel rail.

The problem is GETTING TO the O-ring.

I don't know what that involves on YOUR car, but on mine, the upper intake manifold has to come off, which means opening up the cooling system and disconnecting various accessories in order to get the upper intake off the engine. Then the fuel rail is held down by two or three small bolts. Bolts removed, the fuel rail and all six injectors pull off with a firm tug--the only thing holding the injectors in place is the O-rings top and bottom.

I'll take a picture of the fuel rail from a '93 3.4 DOHC. Mine's been apart for months waiting for me to get the ambition to start work on it again.

if you do the work yourself - once you have the upper intake off, put rags in each of the intake holes as to not drop anything into the lower intake cause if you accidently drop a small bolt or something in there, THEN the real fun begins.

If your engine is anything like mine, there are some tiny bolts and brackets holding the fuel railings to the engine. Very easy to lose.

Also - don't forget about the junkyards if you need to get a new injector. when you remove the old one, you may have to pull the entire fuel rail. if they don't come out fairly easy, just drop some lube in each injector insertion.

We got it changed and man it was super easy went to Junkyard got the new injectors and new o-rings! Although I did loose a fuel rail bolt :mad: but got a new one put it on and good as new!!!! :biggrin: now if I can just get it to stop sounding like its missing that would be great! but she runs amazing! And hell of a lot better fuel mileage now! :D

I'm hoping you got brand new o-rings, and didn't reuse junkyard ones. Considering how prone these are to failing (many still believe that THIS is the true culprit of the 3800 engine fires, not the "front valve cover gasket" BS the GM recall claims), and how cheap they are new, it would be silly to reuse 10+ year old o-rings.

I guess then you do not know at this point if it was the O-rings or injectors that were leaking? You said both were replaced.