1991 pontiac grand prix se 3.1

sprtnatude

i just got this car and it wont pass emissions test, service engine light was on and the code was 13 oxygen sensor. i found the sensor was not connected so i plugged it in now i have what appears to be code 30 does anyone know what that is? also found a wire coming out of fuel pump relay that is not plugged in any ideas where it should go? thank for any and all help.

there's no such thing as a code 30.

the wire coming out of the fuel pump relay is the priming connector. connect it to +12V and you'll be able to power the fuel pump regardless of the engine running/ignition switch.

pull both ECM fuses for a few minutes (one in the glovebox, the other in the fuel pump relay box), then reinstall, then see if any more codes come up.

Welcome, I'm not sure what what a code 30 is. I think your unplugged wire might be the fuel pump test wire.

If you have any pictures of your ride to share. We'd love to see them.

:

50 miles is excessive, all OBD1 tests can be completed within a few miles once you're warmed up. you just need to put the car through as many different situations as possible. EGR tests (which i suspect you may have an issue with) are best done in 3rd gear at roughly 70MPH, get up to speed, then let off on the throttle, don't touch the brakes and allow yourself to coast down to ~50MPH.

do that ~5 times, and by the time you're finished with that, most if not all of the other codes will be tested.

there is no code 30 but there is 32,33,34,35, and 39

holy hell. :lol:

32 is EGR, 33 is MAP high, 34 is MAP low, 35 is IAC and 39 is the clutch switch diagnostic....

i wouldn't think you would get the 39. :think:

when i first put in test clip it has a code 12 then after 3 visuals it shows 33 for 3 visuals then goes back to 12. after pulling the fuses i started the car and the service engine light was on so i turned it off and checked codes so no it has not really been ran

12, then 33, then going back to 12 is normal.

MAP High should only be able to be set when running anyways, so look around for a vacuum leak, or the MAP sensor being completely disconnected from vacuum.

or if you got lucky like i did, your hard plastic line that connects to the MAP sensor from the vacuum block at the TB is broken and causing all of this.

i had to make up quite a ghetto fix for that.

it's mounted on the rear of the intake. should be on a bracket with the CCP solenoid.

you'll see a piece with a 3 wire connector and a 2 wire. the 3 wire is the MAP, the 2 wire is the CCP.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone I have a 1991 pontiac grand prix se and i have had several problems that i have been able to fix with the helpof this site. Now i have another prob.

lately in the morning mostly now that it is getting cooler, I have a real bad smell of gasoline inside the car when i turn on the heater. I have a check engine light and the fuel light is always on but i dont have a service engine light.. anyone have ideas what might help with this problem.. Thanks again everyone for the previous help..

Sprtnatude

is it the "check guages" and low fuel light always being on? possibly with the low coolant light as well?

that would be caused by a common issue with the instrument cluster circuit board, specifically, it needs resoldered.

codes.... i don't want to type them all out, but if you can post the ones you're getting, i can post their meanings and what to do to troubleshoot them.

Hello everyone I have a 1991 pontiac grand prix se and i have had several problems that i have been able to fix with the helpof this site. Now i have another prob.

lately in the morning mostly now that it is getting cooler, I have a real bad smell of gasoline inside the car when i turn on the heater. I have a check engine light and the fuel light is always on but i dont have a service engine light.. anyone have ideas what might help with this problem.. Thanks again everyone for the previous help.. I found the information on repairing the cluster thank you. can you help with gasoline smell inside car??? thanks for your help

Sprtnatude