key stuck in ignition

jake91

i know there is a thread on this somewhere but im having trouble finding it. this past week i have been having trouble getting my key out of the ignition, and ihave to run my shifter through the gears a couple times to get it to release the key.

any sugestions. its getting kinda annoying lol

lol mabey i should search more than w-body

edit: im looking for a permanent fix not just a way to get the key out

Edited by jake91

I have seen the shifter knob not return to its home position and if you are holding the button down, you cant get your key out, so it thinks your holding down the button

Take the shround off of the column. You will see a white solinoid. On the bottom of it there will be a silver button. You can either zip tie the button in the "up/depressed" position or I think you can also unplug it. The only bad thing is you can remove the key in any gear but oh well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

have you been making sure the wheels are straight? not sure if this is the issue with a grand prix but when I had my truck if the wheel was turned too much the key wouldn't come out

Take the shround off of the column. You will see a white solinoid. On the bottom of it there will be a silver button. You can either zip tie the button in the "up/depressed" position or I think you can also unplug it. The only bad thing is you can remove the key in any gear but oh well.

One can simply remove the the solenoid as well. I did this on my brother's GF's '01 GP

I wasn't sure if you could just remove the solenoid or not so I didn't mention that. So if it can be removed, you could also just unplug it if ya didn't want to remove it.

No, this is not the case. The solenoid is energized when the shifter is in park and the key is in the run ignition. If the solenoid is unplugged, or not working, it will prohibit the key from turning to the off position, so unfortunately, unplugging it will not solve the issue. Zip-tying the plunger will work, though.

have you been making sure the wheels are straight? not sure if this is the issue with a grand prix but when I had my truck if the wheel was turned too much the key wouldn't come out

i always have me wheels strait when parked its a little ocd thing i have lol

The only bad thing is you can remove the key in any gear but oh well.

i think im smart enough lol

thanks for the info guys i will just keep a screw driver in the car for now as it only does it 25% of the time and if it gets worse i will just zip tie it