Exhaust note

Mur

From what i remember most late 80's 2.8's and early 90's 3.1's had what i would call a "slappy" or "spanky" exhaust note....my 88 ciera 2.8 has this but my 93 lumina 3.1 dosen't...did GM quiet their exhaust systems at a certian year??

Edited by Mur

Any 60* GM engine will sound like that with anything other than a brand new factory muffler. Most are whisper quiet. It doesn't take much to open them up though.

Yeah, my 93 Lumina V6 didnt have a resonator, but the 92 Z34 i pulled the exhaust off of, did. From what i have seen in the yard, 95 seems to be the year Chevy thought a small resonator was to be installed on every car. You will also notice that the all the MPFI V6 equipped cars, have some kind of low toned rumble to them out the tail pipe, while all the newer cars (starting with the 3x00 motors), all have exhaust that just sounds like air moving thru a pipe.

IMHO, unless it's a V8, be very careful not to have a RICER exhaust sound:

Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5 exhaust mod examples:

Rice, rice baby: :)

This one sounds decent:

Edited by Cutlass350

Old 40 series Flows, High flow Magnaflow

th_100_1609.jpg

Newest Exhaust after the old one rusted out: Stainless Pipes, Magnaflow Knockoffs stainless, dual exhaust, high flow magnaflow cat

th_MVI_3379.jpg

My old 91 GTP didn't have a resonator either. Actually none of the 88-91 GPs I've had have had resonators. I think that's another 94+ thing.

My '92 Lumina 3.1L Euro has the "sport" exhaust system and does not have a resonator. Just a cat and a muffler. The dual outlet pipe muffler came on cars with the "sport" exhaust. It's pretty noisy. IMO, it's rather annoying.