throttle body swap

ricklovin93

Hey guys well im going to be putting a new thermostat in my 3100 for my 96 cutlass, i was thinking that while i had the throttle body off id swap to a bigger one, what choices do i have out there? Which ones are bolton (direct fit), and can i still use the same sensors,intake duct, and will my throttle lines work, cruise control is a big must have.

i BELIEVE the bolt patterns are the same between the small and large port manifolds, however, there is a rather significant change in shape and size, which is kind of a waste since it kills airflow. best bet there would be to grab a 3400 LIM as well. you'll have most of the updates of the LG8/LA1, with the exception of the heads.

large port and small port manifolds are completely different in terms of bolt patter. Small port uses 12 bolts while large port uses 6. Youll have to change the UIM and LIM when swapping between the two.

large port and small port manifolds are completely different in terms of bolt patter. Small port uses 12 bolts while large port uses 6. Youll have to change the UIM and LIM when swapping between the two.

yep, there are a few good pics in the articles confirming this as well.

okay, so if i do use the 3400 manifolds i should use the intake gasket set for a 3400? and i would need to also buy the newer egr, and i would need to tap the manifold for the coolant line?

the adapters for 90-95 mines a 96 the article said that with a 96 engine you need to use the new egr, and that the manifold can be tapped to accept the 3100 coolant lines

yeah, and unless you have some kind of tuning capability, it's recommended, since otherwise the PCM won't have any idea that larger injectors are installed.

keep in mind, the 3100 stock injectors are too small for even a stock motor.

so i can use the stock injectors and everything like that right the fuel rail and pressure regulator. So all i need is the manifolds, gasket set, and newer style egr valve, sounds simple enough.