where to get replacement door panels?

ricklovin93

Do you guys no of anyone that sells new door panels? the Driver side broke where the push in tabs that go in to the door, connect to the panel. I yanked on the panel to hard when i was trying to take it off and the broke so now one of the corners are loose, its for a 96 cutlass coupe

That is bad news. I need a set of interior door panels for a 1994 cutlass. Could you have them custom made for you by an auto upholstery place? Perhaps an auto upholstery place could at least fix the panel you have?

Do you guys no of anyone that sells new door panels? the Driver side broke where the push in tabs that go in to the door, connect to the panel. I yanked on the panel to hard when i was trying to take it off and the broke so now one of the corners are loose, its for a 96 cutlass coupe

I have a couple busted on my car. There should be enough hardware holding things together to work out something, there's a couple of things. I might need some more confirmation to help you out. Chinese Matt may also have the panel that you're looking for that he can sell you.

That is bad news. I need a set of interior door panels for a 1994 cutlass. Could you have them custom made for you by an auto upholstery place? Perhaps an auto upholstery place could at least fix the panel you have?

For a couple hundred dollars... The junkyard charges 25-35 for a panel, and if the person kept good care of the car before scrapping it, then you benefit from it

I had that problem. I fabricated new tab retainers using sheet metal. Using ABS plastic and solvent welding would probably be easier, but my sheet metal retainers are much stronger than stock. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

I actually took better pics than I thought. This was on the 88, whose door trim panel was already broken and flopping around when it was bought.

1. Make a paper template.

2. Draw it onto a piece of sheetmetal and cut it out.

3. Use hammer to bend sheetmetal.

4. Drill holes for retainers and rivets.

5. Not shown in the pics, but I cut off about 3mm from the original retainer posts because the sheetmetal replacements need to fit flush. The bends are a bit rounded because they were just done by a hammer, so it was necessary to cut a bit more off the top of the posts than just the thickness of the metal in order to get them not to stick out any more than the original post (measure if necessary). It's better for them to sit a little too deep than not deep enough, because you want the trim panel to fit right against the door with no gap.

The 88 had multiple broken tabs and such, including the one on the bottom that takes a screw so I had to fabricate and rivet on a bunch of differently shaped pieces.

Here you can see one installed, and one after cutting and bending, but before drilling. I just used scrap paper to make the template.

IMG_0273.jpg

Broken post and the sheet metal cap to replace it.

IMG_0269.jpg

Test fitting.

IMG_0270.jpg

Installed with rivets.

IMG_0272.jpg

Piece for the bottom after cutting and bending, but before drilling and riveting. Near the top of the pic, you can see where I had to make a metal replacement tab to replace a broken off plastic one.

IMG_0275.jpg

Bottom piece riveted on.

IMG_0276.jpg

Carpet hides the rivets.

IMG_0277.jpg

Painted to prevent ugly rust, and now a screw can hold this panel in as originally intended.

IMG_0299.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas!

For cutting the metal, I just used tin snips and a nibbler tool. To cut the tops off the posts before installing the caps, I used a Dremel with cutting disc.

I still don't see how on ebay there is NOS door panels for the G body Cutlass, but not the W body. They have to be out there somewhere, we just don't know where.