Is it worth fixing up a 96 cutlass supreme coupw

ricklovin93

whats up everyone recently ive been thinking about fixing up my w body, rust and dent repair, new carpet seats and audio, but is it worth it? Do you guys think there will be a market for thses cars later on down the road? Thanks?

It depends on how many miles, and to what extent the body is in. As far as these cars go, there may or may not be a huge market for them. It is hard to tell, but it will definitely be a cool car no matter what. I don't think Oldsmobile will ever be forgotten kind of like other ex-Mfgs... such as Hudson, AMC, etc.

honestly I don't think you will make money on it, if I had to do that work to my car I know I wouldn't make the money back, but if you're going to keep the car then it works out right? have a nice car that you can drive, win-win imo

Trust me im not trying to make money out of it, its my first car and she has alot of sentimental value to me, the underbody is what you would expect, i havent found any major rot, she's almost at 150,000, the body is in ok shape for what you would expect from a car in upstate ny. tranny still shifts beautifuly, the engine doesnt burn any oil, the interior definately needs work though, especially the carpet. im searching for some new seats, and come on now who doesnt like the way any of our w body's look, they still look good to todays standard.

If it is simple cosmetics I would say go for it. I know how you feel it being your first car and all, trust me I has an 87 Cutlass Supreme that I wanted to keep forever and fix up, but the rust on it was too much for me and I sold it for 1500 dollars. If you are truly want to keep it as a your first car than that is all up to you. But it all depends on what you want to do.

One thing that you have to keep in mind, is that salt is not your friend. I see upstate NY, I am in WNY and the cars I've decided to save I've stopped driving in the winter. No matter how clean you try to keep it, the salt will still take it's toll over time. But if it's decent enough to put the money into right now and you really want to, might as well do it. I'm going to save my 4 dr 90 Lumina because of sentimental value. Is it worth anything? Nope, but it's relatively solid and it was my first car...so that's why I'm saving it.

the worst rust is on the front fender down by the bumper but i have a rust free fender i found in the junkyard ive been getting prepped for primer, so thats no big deal, the only other rest is in the rear quarter panel by the back bumper thats the tuff one i have yet to figure out how to go about that, but beside that theres a couple dings here and there, underneath is pretty solid still.

Do you guys think there will be a market for thses cars later on down the road?

No. It simply will not be worth it to put any money into it, other than to keep it as a DD, or possibly help it sell (not for any more money, just at all)

post-7149-143689090907_thumb.jpg

thats the extent of the rust the front fender is no big deal since i already have a replacement ready to go in this spring but the back by the bumper is gonna be a little tricky, not sure how to go about that?

post-7149-1436890909_thumb.jpg

I would say if your trailing arm mounts are good and the rest of the underbody Is relatively good and you plan on keeping it and don't care about the expenses then restore it. But that rust on the body looks scary.