Gas tank question

95cutlassproject

My gas tank is finally starting to leak. Since I just plan on replacing i was wondering because someone mentioned to me that they make an plastic gas tank replacement. I have been unable to locate this plastic fuel tank and was wonder if anyone here has installed or know about this fuel tank. As a second part I was wondering if anyone installed a different fuel tank all together like ones that you can get from performance shops. The none oem optioned is just curiosity. (car is 95 cutlass supreme incase the username didn't give it away)

I really dont trust plastic tanks, i beleive metal is a lot stronger, but plastic doesnt rust, never heard of a plastic replacement, i just put a new tank in my cutlass and lemme tell you what, its the bigges t pain in the ass, the bolts for the tank strap are shoverd under the whole rear suspension so the only way to get to those bolts is with the tank out, before i did it i was only planning on it taking only 3 hours top but it tookme double that

You only need to remove the two front strap bolts. I just leave the rears in and let the straps hang. Took me half an hour to have the tank out of the car that way.

there is a product out there that you pour into the tank, and basically move the tank into a bunch of different positions to make sure it coats everything, and you end up with basically a plastic lining.

my dad's 70 javelin had this done a LONG time ago, and that tank still doesn't leak.

Do you happen the know the name of that product. While I have the tank down I plan to test to fuel pump. As a precaution what kind of higher flowing oem style pumps are there? Or would that require a bit of fab work?

So the Walbro will plug right in and everything? Just double checking before i order one.

They are indeed drop-in replacements. Its not difficult to install them. Just make sure you're getting the right one, and make sure you get the harness for it too.

It physically mounts the same. My memory is a bit hazy, but I think for it to plug right in, you may need to buy a GM installation kit for it which comes with a harness adapter, sock filter, pulsator bypass hose, and tank O-ring.

Okay, now my dad (who will not let me do anything alone) He began asking if i have everything i need adn start listing off strange thing that all data or my Haynes manual do not list as needing replacement. He was talking about lines for the inside of the tank, and just crazy things that made no snice to me. I have the upper o ring and plate that came with the new tank, other then strap is there anything i missed. sorry for asking, but now i feel paranoid that i did indeed miss something.

you might need a new sending unit i just changed my tank a few weeks ago, since you have the tank already out it only makes sense to put a new sending unit, fuel pump, and strainer in, because once you put it back in you wont have access to the sending unit and pump

for your car if all you are doing is replacing the tank and/or pump you don't really need anything special.

the stock pump has a "pulsator" for the OE pump, its supposed to smooth out the flow of fuel or some jazz since the original pump pulses or something.

most aftermarket pumps eliminate that, and come with a little bit of hose and some clamps to delete it. I have had real good results with Bosch. No you don't need any special fuel lines for inside the tank.

The gasket, I have had some of the Rubber O ring gaskets leak pretty good, I usually will buy one from the dealer as I really hate dropping tanks.

On aftermarket tanks before you install look at how the lip around the middle is on the old tank, you may need to hammer the new tanks lip to match the original's or else the straps will have a wicked hard time fitting around them.

Thank you for all the info(tank is painted and undercoated along with the straps. The reason for the aftermaket fuel pump that was planned was i am planning on a turbo eventally as slowly gather the parts needed.

Thanks for all the info, the new painted and undercoated tank is in. I was surprised to find no rust at all in the tank area, it was clean.