95 Grand Prix GTP Stalling Issue

james125

Hello guys new to the forum and starting to have some issues with my 1995 Grand prix DOHC 3.4L.

Ok so I bought this car for commuting back and forth to work car is spotless very clean with 150k on it but its been a problem since i bought it.

So when I drive it it runs ok I can drive it for hours but if i let it idle for more than 2-3 minnuts the thing will start to run rough spit n sputter and then die, and when it dies it will not start intill it cools down at least 1 hour and then it will run fine. I checked the shrader valve on the fuel rail and nothing but air comes out after it dies even while cranking only air will come out, So could it be a fuel pump i changed the fuel filter but that did not help and its not overheating? any ideas would be great thanks.

got any way to check the actual fuel pressure when something like this happens?

almost sounds like an extreme case of vapor locking, which may or may not be caused by the fuel pressure regulator.

key on, engine off, around 43.5PSI.

key on, engine running with the FPR connected to vacuum, near idle, about 3-10PSI lower

key on, engine running with the FPR disconnected from vacuum, 43.5PSI.

just expect that last one to cause the engine to run a bit rich.

low pressure can also be caused by the FPR being bad.

and changing the fuel pump does require dropping the tank, or cutting a hole in your trunk.

you only need to remove two of the bolts for the tank straps, but i forget which two.