a/c compressor clutch replace-able?

TDS-97CSSL

Hey All,

Lately i've been trying to wrap up a few of the lingering problems that we've had with the '97 Cutlass. One of the last remaining ones is, a noisy A/C clutch. Get a good rattling sound when a/c or defrost is on, most noticeable then at least. Visual inspection shows some metal shavings around the pulley. A local shop that looked at it for me, suggested complete a/c compressor replacement, but I'm not 100% sure I'm onboard with that, as I haven't noticed any issues that I would think indicate a fauly or failing compressor, I don't think.

Online searches returned some youtube videos of pulleys being removed from the compressor shaft, while compressor is on the workbench. My questions, if anyone has worked with this before:

Can the pulley/clutch/bearing be replaced by itself, or does the entire compressor assembly need to be replaced?

Would it be possible to do this replacement with the compressor in the car, if so?

It appears that there is a decent amount of space to work there, and local auto parts store does have listing for just the clutch, independently of the entire compressor.

Any of you had any experience with this? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Clutch can be done in the car but if you get noise when it is engaged, I'd think you need a compressor. Most times, a clutch will make noise when the compressor is off due to air gap adjustment between the hub and pulley.

Sounds like the auto shop is correct in their diagnosis.

Ah, i didn't realize that a noise there was more likely to be the compressor itself. Just figured it was the clutch. I will need to verify when it makes noise, if the system is on or not, as I'm not 100% sure now anymore. Just got that area cleaned up with a pressure wash, and it was quiet this morning, with no change after turning ac and defrost on and off. Of course even being clean doesn't change the fact that I had all the metal shavings there, so I'm sure I've got some sort of problem still.

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.