No cluster illumination in '98 Regal GS

iTurbo

Hello, I've got this here '98 Buick Regal that I'm trying to work out all the bugs and minor annoyances on before installing some power upgrades. One of those problems is the instrument cluster. At first the LEDs for the odometer and DIC were very dim and the cluster backlight illumination stopped working. Well, I found that replacing some resistors on the back of the cluster circuit board fixed the dim LED issues, but there still isn't any backlighting at all. Can't drive the car at all this way at night!

Do I just need a new headlight switch (it controls the dimming) or does it sound like I messed up the resistor install?

Forgot to add that I have checked and rechecked the fuses already in both fuse boxes. The only lights that don't work now are the little incandescent bulbs that provide the dimming backlight inside the instrument cluster. That's why I'm thinking headlight switch?

OK looks like I need a new cluster. It's beyond me how these things are even fixable. I removed it again to check the resistors and the little silver pads on the board that the traces connect to became loose so I'm pretty sure all I managed to do by attempting to fix it was destroying it.

Anybody got a good instrument cluster for a 1998 Buick Regal GS? I think I'm going to take a blow torch to this one and melt it down into a puddle and maybe I'll feel a little better about it.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
My tahoe's dimmer switch went out and I had no backlighting anywhere in the car. Did the window switch lights, etc still work?

I don't think they did now that I think about it. At any rate, definitely going to need a replacement Regal GS cluster, or at least the printed circuit board that goes on the backside. Anybody got one or know where I can find one? That would suck to have to drive all the way down to the Denver area to hit the junkyards there.

I can try and hit up the yard in Columbus this weekend. I'm not off until Saturday or Sunday though.

There is only one 98 that's been there since the 6th of January, the rest are pre-97.

Here is pricing:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: col1]255-2[/TD]

[TD=class: col2]Instrument Cluster Assembly[/TD]

[TD=class: col3]Car[/TD]

[TD=class: col4]$26.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: alt]

[TD=class: col1]255-1[/TD]

[TD=class: col2]Instrument Cluster Circuit Board

[/TD]

[TD=class: col4]$19.99

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I can try and hit up the yard in Columbus this weekend. I'm not off until Saturday or Sunday though.

There is only one 98 that's been there since the 6th of January, the rest are pre-97.

Here is pricing:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: col1]255-2[/TD]

[TD=class: col2]Instrument Cluster Assembly[/TD]

[TD=class: col4]$26.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: alt]

[TD=class: col1]255-1[/TD]

[TD=class: col2]Instrument Cluster Circuit Board[/TD]

[TD=class: col4]$19.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Wow that would be awesome! I really just need the circuit board but I'll take the whole thing at that price if it's easier for you. If the car has the headlight switch, I'd take that too. Let me know, thanks for checking!

Wow that would be awesome! I really just need the circuit board but I'll take the whole thing at that price if it's easier for you. If the car has the headlight switch, I'd take that too. Let me know, thanks for checking!

Sure thing bud! :thumbsup: I'll see about snagging the switch as well. Shoot me a PM with your number, and I'll let you know what I find when I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...
Sure thing bud! :thumbsup: I'll see about snagging the switch as well. Shoot me a PM with your number, and I'll let you know what I find when I'm there.

Hi, I tried sending a PM but not sure if my PMs are working. Lately when I send PMs, they don't show up in my Sent Items folder so not sure if they are actually going out. Anyways, I know it's was waaay cold last weekend for a big part of the US so no big deal if you haven't got out to the 'yard yet.

My email address is:

jeremy . mitchell @ bresnan . net

Hi, I tried sending a PM but not sure if my PMs are working. Lately when I send PMs, they don't show up in my Sent Items folder so not sure if they are actually going out. Anyways, I know it's was waaay cold last weekend for a big part of the US so no big deal if you haven't got out to the 'yard yet.

My email address is:

jeremy . mitchell @ bresnan . net

I did get you PM, and I sent one back, but God knows if it got to you.

Dude, I went to the yard today, and completely forgot to look for a Regal. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I'm sorry! I'm such a dumbass.

Hey that's OK! The Regal is not my daily driver anyway but quickly turning into my fun car. If you can find a cluster and headlight switch I will definitely make it worth your while though. Of course it would need to be from a S/C GS model.

Also, does anybody know where the odometer information is stored on the car? Is it stored on the cluster itself or does the cluster get the info from the PCM? I would love it if I could have the mileage be correct again, but I'm not sure if I'd have to somehow get a replacement cluster reprogrammed, or if it's in the PCM and I'm OK?