Ideas for Dual Exhaust for the 90

3pt1lumina

So I'll have to start a thread when the 90 comes out of storage in April, but for years now I've been talking about fixing it up. I know, it's a 90 Base Lumina, but it has sentimental value as I've known it since the day it was new, car I learned to drive on, was my grandfather's, etc.

Anyways, one thing I want to do is get dual exhaust on it this spring since the stock single exhaust has lived it's life.

I want dual exhaust, but I have some questions. I already have the driver's side hanger from a 94 Z34, but I'm curious as to what I should do for the system. The flange before the catalytic has a leak too but I can just weld it again for now.

If I put an entire exhaust system on from a 3.4 car from the engine back, will that work on a 3.1 car? Also, if I just do the cat/back now and the rest later, are the flanges the same size? Reason I ask this is because when I swapped dual exhaust onto the 97 it came from a 96 3.4 car and the flanges were different size at the catalytic.

Another problem, I can't find a good used system here anywhere. So if anyone comes across one nearby Western NY let me know (2-3 hrs away is fine, I'd drive for one). Or should I just go with a brand new system from a muffler shop, or get a Y pipe and go onto the current system?

Not really looking for loud but wouldn't be opposed to it either. Trying to budget this and the paint/body work, but that's all it needs.

Thoughts?

Edited by 3pt1lumina

i've done the 3.4 exhaust on to a 3.1 car twice. works fine, seems to make the engine slightly more quiet at lower RPMs but give it a little throat when revving... for both i simply cut the old pipe and ran the new pipe over it and clamped it in place with a typical exhaust clamp