89 Regal no windshield wipers

emb1230

Checked the fuse, that's good, after figuring out how to get to the motor I gave that a few taps, no luck. Is there a relay for the wipers? If there is, I can not find it anywhere. Also, there's a separate motor for the fluid sprayer, right? That does not work either now.

Wiper switch and turn signal switch failures are all too common on these cars. I would definitely put my money on the wiper switch. The turn signal switch is probably also causing problems. When you replace the wiper switch you might be able to get the turn signal switch working properly by cleaning the contact points on it.

Yes, I'm aware that this is a very common failing part... on 94+ or cars that have a driver's airbag. I have NEVER heard of the switch failing on an EARLY (No airbag) W-body. I've known about the turn sig sw ever since a got the car back in July, it's gotten to the point where it will sometimes start smoking. The wipers not working is something that just happened this past week or so. Also, when I see a 94+ with a bad switch, it seems both outer turn signal/brake lights are not working, on my 89, it's just the driver's side that does not work.

Edited by emb1230

I recently replaced the turn signal switch on my 94 and it was because when I had the left turn signal on while braking, the passenger side light wouldn't light up to show that I was braking. It was just the passenger side that was an issue; the driver side was fine. This car has an airbag.

On the 91 I used to have, the turn signal switch needed to be replaced/cleaned too. It only worked if I held it in the right spot. It didn't have a wiper switch problem though, but it did have steering wheel radio control issues. I never took the column apart to fix it, but I'm sure the turn signal switch just needed to be cleaned.

I really don't think that pre-94's are exempt from this issue.

Stopping: DS doesn't work

Turning right: if also braking, DS doesn't work

Turning left: I have to play with the stalk to get them to blink

using the Hazard flashers: Again, DS doesn't work

You probably are right about 88-93's not being exempt, fortunately from what I can see, it looks like the switch is a whole lot easier to replace on them!! No airbag and no locking ring (I heard that is a pain to remove too) to worry about. I did however find what works: I pull the stalk towards me just a hair, the DS will work.

It's a 22 year old car w/200K+ miles, I think i'm just going to get some used switches from a JY 90-94 Lumina, there are still tons of them around and they never had the steering wheel control option.

Edited by emb1230