Strange Loss of Power - 2004 GTP

ZeeQuick

Drove the car back and forth to work yesterday and everything was fine. Parked it in the lot at my apartment for about an hour, left to go get some food, and the car was running like it was at half power. No stumbling or miss from the engine at all, but the RPMs were coming up very slow, and the car just didn't want to move. Tranny shifted smooth, but was holding the gears a bit longer than normal. Drove about 2 miles to a gas station, got out and checked some stuff, shut the car off, turned it back on, and suddenly everything ran fine. Car ran fine this morning too on the drive downtown.

Only thing I can think of is that sometimes the car doesn't start "cleanly", I turn the key and it cranks a second or two longer than normal, then kind of wheezes to life. This is how it started yesterday before this lack of power hit. Its been a tad cold out, maybe 20 degrees, but the car had only beeing sitting for about an hour. Car has about 62,000 miles on it. You think maybe I should start by cleaning the MAF? Changing the fuel filter perhaps? Thanks!

My mother's '06 monte carlo went into failsafe mode... pulled 39* of timing(!!!!!!!!) after it set a TPS mismatch code..... Twas fine again after restart and hasn't happened again....

The limp mode thing makes sense, did feel as if it wasn't engaging 1st gear, but it was kind of hard to tell. Check engine light did not come on, and the car has been running fine since, guess it must have just been a fluke thing. Come spring I'm going change the plugs/wires and do the back valve cover gasket and have been contemplating doing the pulley and supporting mods....hopefully that will ensure the car runs good for a long time.