LQ1 in Video

BrianK82

Check out the RockAuto January newsletter at http://www.rockauto.com. There's a short video exert from MotorWeek that talks about how to remove spark plugs from aluminum cylinder heads without damaging them. Guess what beautiful engine graces the stand for the presentation? None other than our favorite LQ1. Anyone ever consider putting one of these under glass to make an interesting coffee table? LOL. I could look at it all day.

I love Motorweek and he almost always uses an LQ1 for demonstrations. examples:

[video=youtube;WY4vkqzSt4I]

[video=youtube;ob2nXxo2Pdk]

I believe this one features an LQ1 head.

[video=youtube;qE5_6rzPiBs]

there used to be a video online where he talks about E85 conversions and features the LQ1, but I can't find it now. I'm gonna email him and find why He features it so often.

I believe this one features an LQ1 head.

Definitely an LQ1 head. There's a couple of em on my kitchen table right now. :lol:

I'm gonna email him and find why He features it so often.

Yeah there's a bunch of LQ1 demos floating that GM sent out for educational/demo purposes. He obviously got one one way or another and he probably doesn't have much else to feature. Why GM did that with the LQ1, I don't know. It makes buying a crate LQ1 dangerous because you don't know if it was one of these demos that someone is now trying to resell, or an actual crate engine provided for a dealer. The demos weren't fit for actual use even before they'd been taken apart a thousand times.

I got a reply from Pat Goss! I asked why he chose to use the engine. Here's the response

Hi Tommy: Thanks for watching, I appreciate it! I wish I could tell you that there was some grand plan behind the 3.4 but alas there isn't --- it is simply what we have. Because an engine is an engine for general discussion it doesn't make any difference what we use and that one is already there so it's what I use. Plus it's a good, contemporary looking engine even if it is obsolete and tough to work on.. Sincerely, Pat Goss