no rear brakes, hard brake pedal, ABS and brake light on

BS009

So I was being a retard doing some parking brake sliding today and I put my brakes on at the same time as the parking brake was engaged a little, the ABS kicked in and I released the parking brake then came to a stop. After taking off again I noticed that my brake pedal was about twice as hard as what it used to be and my ABS light was on. I restarted the car hoping it would reset the ABS but now both the brake light and ABS light are on.

The brakes feel almost as if the ABS is engaged and it also feels like I only have front brakes now. I pulled the fuse and the relay and restarted the car but the only change was that the regular brake light went away. It came back on after I put the fuse back in.

I have no idea what is going on and I've never heard of this happening before. Any ideas on how to fix this?

So I was being a retard doing some parking brake sliding today and I put my brakes on at the same time as the parking brake was engaged a little, the ABS kicked in and I released the parking brake then came to a stop. After taking off again I noticed that my brake pedal was about twice as hard as what it used to be and my ABS light was on. I restarted the car hoping it would reset the ABS but now both the brake light and ABS light are on.

The brakes feel almost as if the ABS is engaged and it also feels like I only have front brakes now. I pulled the fuse and the relay and restarted the car but the only change was that the regular brake light went away. It came back on after I put the fuse back in.

I have no idea what is going on and I've never heard of this happening before. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Please don't tell us what car this is. Makes it more fun to guess.

I'd say it's a defective ABS system, a solenoid valve that shuts off brake pressure to the rear is stuck closed. A bit strange, I'd have expected that the left and right rear would be controlled separately.

They don't use solenoids. There's 3 stepper motors in that crappy Delco-VI ABS system in your Regal. The rears share one motor. Something has gone likely wrong with that channel. From what I've seen, when they usually fail where only the ABS doesn't work and it's hardly worth fixing on a system that hardly works to begin with. If you're sure that your lack of rear braking is due to the ABS problem and not from the standard-issue siezed rear calipers that you may have just now have noticed, I'd take it to a dealer or some shop that knows what they are doing with the Delco-VI. Last I heard parts/motors are still available to fix the unit.

Please don't tell us what car this is. Makes it more fun to guess.

Did you bother to even check his fucking sig? Jesus, for having so much knowledge, you really are a condescending dickball.

Oh yeah, you revel in that. I forgot. My bad.

FWIW 009, I had the exact same issue in my 1994 GP. Brake pedal was hard as a rock, and I had absolutely no pressure to the rear brakes. Pulling the ABS fuse had the same effect it did with you.

Either the ABS unit waited until that time to take a massive shit, or you broke it. :lol:

I think you might have the ability to switch to a non-ABS master cylinder. From what I remember, it might require the modifications of the brake lines under the hood. Or you can pull a bunch from the junkyard and hope that they're good.

Could be something simple like the hose popped off the booster. But can you tell if the ABS is actually activiating or not?

FYI: I do have an extra ABS VI if do happen to need one.

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like my ABS system is probably pretty screwed up then. I won't know what exactly went wrong for sure until I go home from school and am able to pull ABS codes, but it sounds like you guys are right. The rear channel is screwed up.

They don't use solenoids. There's 3 stepper motors in that crappy Delco-VI ABS system in your Regal. The rears share one motor. Something has gone likely wrong with that channel. From what I've seen, when they usually fail where only the ABS doesn't work and it's hardly worth fixing on a system that hardly works to begin with. If you're sure that your lack of rear braking is due to the ABS problem and not from the standard-issue siezed rear calipers that you may have just now have noticed, I'd take it to a dealer or some shop that knows what they are doing with the Delco-VI. Last I heard parts/motors are still available to fix the unit.

I know it's not seized rear calipers because I recently did a lot of brake work to this car, and the parking brake still works. I'm definitely not taking this to a dealer to get fixed; it'll probably end up costing more than my car is worth when it's all said and done there. I'll just go to the junkyard and try to find a replacement ABS system as soon as it's warm enough.

Could be something simple like the hose popped off the booster. But can you tell if the ABS is actually activiating or not?

FYI: I do have an extra ABS VI if do happen to need one.

I checked under the hood and I didn't see anything loose at all even after wacking the ABS a couple times. the ABS won't even attempt to work when the ABS light is on, however it still does its self check when I start the car.

FWIW 009, I had the exact same issue in my 1994 GP. Brake pedal was hard as a rock, and I had absolutely no pressure to the rear brakes. Pulling the ABS fuse had the same effect it did with you.

Either the ABS unit waited until that time to take a massive shit, or you broke it. :lol:

I think you might have the ability to switch to a non-ABS master cylinder. From what I remember, it might require the modifications of the brake lines under the hood. Or you can pull a bunch from the junkyard and hope that they're good.

Glad to see that my issues are not as rare as I thought.

So I started my car today to find that my brakes have magically fixed themselves. No ABS light or brake light, and all four wheels are breaking. My car seems to be quite magical as this is not the first time the car has fixed its own problems.