What is wrong with my car's electrical system?

Oilpatch197

When it turns cold I get these strange symptoms.

When I start the car, it will crank slower, and when it starts, the engine bogs down for 5 seconds, then runs normal, the voltage gauge goes higher than normal for a while, about five minutes then everything is normal.

Does this every time it's cold, no problems when engine is warm. Replaced battery cables, alternator 1 year ago, and the battery is about 2 years old.(Autozone gold) :think:

how cold is cold? That would likely be expected it is was below zero......

anywhere below freezing it does this, just started doing this. It may do this in warm weather, but it's winter so I dunno.

The engine bogging down for 3-5 seconds does not sound normal to me, it acts as if the engine is under a big load, I assume it's my alternator since my voltage gauge goes higher than normal?

Edited by Oilpatch197

Dude, its normal! Think of how thick the fluids are in the car! It needs time to warm up and run smooth. Lets throw you outside where its below freezing to do a certian job, then come inside where its warm and youll fine it much easier. Thats what your engine is like. It does not like the cold and 'bogs' down because its cold and the fluids are very thick, and other details that are much to complicated...

Your car is a 92. You need to have paitence with her. Shes not new :lol:

My 94 GTP does pretty much the same thing except the voltage gauge cause I don't have one in my car.

But yeah an older car is gonna need a bit more of a warm-up than something new.