Changing Oil

dodgethis

Gentlement, and Gals. I have been chaning out my oil with no problem in the past. I have been using the Castrol Synthetic 5W-30 with titanium with a Wix oil filter. I was talking to some of my friends who were suggesting grabbing a o-ring (could be a rubber gasket, or maleable piece of metal) that goes into the oil plug to better seal. This is why im creating this thread. On our W-body's are we supposed to do that everytime we change our oil? I remember when taking my oil plug out, it has a type of white plastic o-ring that goes around the threads, and I have never changed it. I am leaking a little bit of oil (not a big deal due to i was leaking even when I was using conventional), and wondered if possible i could at least help slow down the leak.

I never replace the o-ring on my drain plug... and it's just fine. Never leaked a drop.

If you've got the white plastic ring on your drain plug, it's not the OE plug. The OE ones have a 15mm head, and a built in o-ring under the shoulder. The ones with the white plastic rings never seal up, we have those at work.

My Z34 has an aftermarket plug and it leaks a drop every so often. Last time I changed the oil I forgot to put that gasket back on and it actually stopped leaking. But I'll replace it with the proper drain plug next time. I just keep forgetting. All of my other cars don't leak and all have the original plugs except for the 90.

aftermarket Magnetic plug - Motormite "Oil-tite!" 65372

this has the stock style O-ring seal on it and i use it on Everything without problem. I've seen it in both a 13mm and 15mm head.

aftermarket Magnetic plug - Motormite "Oil-tite!" 65372

this has the stock style O-ring seal on it and i use it on Everything without problem. I've seen it in both a 13mm and 15mm head.

^^ What he said!!

I use the same drain plug with no problems. :thumbsup: