Passenger Seat Swap To Driver's Side?

Mark 97 Cutlass Coupe

I found a nearly perfect black leather passenger bucket seat from a 95 Cutlass convertible, and my driver's seat pad is shot, and the leather is starting to wear. I know that the seat pads and leather are the same left to right, but can I just change the seat tracks so I can use the entire new seat? My 97 Coupe has a power seat. I know that the manual recline lever from the pass seat will be on the console side if I make the swap, but that is ok by me. Does anyone know if the swap will be a simple matter of switching seat tracks and nothing more?

technically you could bolt it in as is on the drivers side (and leave it manual)

If you are going to start taking the seat apart (to change seat tracks) just do it right and swap the skins (and the foam if need be) on to the drivers seat.

I think the answer I am looking for is, will the seat tracks transfer? My thought is that it is easier to just unbolt the manual tracks, and substitute the electric ones ( if that indeed is possible ) than trying to take apart a leather seat cover that is now 17 years old without damaging it or stretching it. I have taken a seat cover off of another junkyard seat; I have yet to re install it on my car. Since I found a perfect seat assembly, I am just wondering if the seat track switch would be easier and get a better result.

IIRC, the cover and foam have to come off to access the seat track bolts anyway. The bolts that hold the track to the frame are accessed from the top (below the cover/foam)

95 Vert, it sounds like you have done this before. Have you? As I stated before, my only concern is to not damage the pristine seat I found in a junkyard. By the way, the car I got the seat from looked just like yours. Thanks for your time and help.

I have done it too... By removing the skin and remounting it, you wont damage anything... IIRC, the seat skin clips down and you simply unclip it... I have a write up done on second gens, I am not sure how much the first and second gen seats are the same but it might help you

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/40178-Passenger-heated-seat-project-2nd-Gen-GP?highlight=heated+seat

Yea, I've done several.

As AL said, it just clips on. Not hard to do. Just remove the lower plastic trim(philips screws). There will be a rod on each side routed thru the cover retained with a plastic pushpin. The front and rear use a plastic clip that you pry off with a screwdriver. Lift off foam and cover together. The cover is just velcro'd to the foam. You do not have to take the seat bottom and top apart to do this.

Was the Vert in the JY trashed?

Yea, I've done several.

As AL said, it just clips on. Not hard to do. Just remove the lower plastic trim(philips screws). There will be a rod on each side routed thru the cover retained with a plastic pushpin. The front and rear use a plastic clip that you pry off with a screwdriver. Lift off foam and cover together. The cover is just velcro'd to the foam. You do not have to take the seat bottom and top apart to do this.

Was the Vert in the JY trashed?

First of all, thanks guys for taking the time answer my questions. As you know, finding a nearly perfect black bucket seat, from a convertible no less, is amazing. It is not the least bit faded, and the foam underneath is still %100. That's why I was a little paranoid to dig into it without knowing what to expect. And, to answer your last question, it was very rusty, but had been well cared for. It was really a shame-no dents, nice interior, decent tires. It was just so rusted out that it was too far gone to fix. I grew up in Cleveland, and they lay the salt on really thick come winter time. It is at the west side pull a part, and I got the seat maybe 2 weeks ago. When I took the seat the car was complete otherwise.

a

YOU TOOK THE SEAT I WAS GOING TO GRAB FROM WEST SIDE PAP??? YOU SICKO!!!!!!!!! (kidding) THAT CAR WAS MINT EXCEPT FOR THE RUST. She looked like a garage queen, but she also had about 220,000 miles.

swapping the seat upholstery frame to frame is easy. the bottom part is simplest, and the top half will require more work. When I have done the task i always sew closed any unused holes in the seat with upholstery thread (available at walmart) and cut new holes as needed below the visible bolster area(study the opposite seat to see where holes go). to remove the upper... do not yank up on the headrest. some fucker did that in my 93 vert and the headrest ejected on the interstate... you must flex the upholstery up and over the seat back, like a veterinarians collar, and locate two plastic retainers that require light pressure from a small screwdriver to release the seat top. apart is comes.

TIP: reinforce the seat bottom with some material between the seat foam and frame, this will make the seat firmer and prevent the foam from breaking down as it will do over time.... I've used scrap carpet and thin plastic with excellent results several times...

YOU TOOK THE SEAT I WAS GOING TO GRAB FROM WEST SIDE PAP??? YOU SICKO!!!!!!!!! (kidding) THAT CAR WAS MINT EXCEPT FOR THE RUST. She looked like a garage queen, but she also had about 220,000 miles.

swapping the seat upholstery frame to frame is easy. the bottom part is simplest, and the top half will require more work. When I have done the task i always sew closed any unused holes in the seat with upholstery thread (available at walmart) and cut new holes as needed below the visible bolster area(study the opposite seat to see where holes go). to remove the upper... do not yank up on the headrest. some fucker did that in my 93 vert and the headrest ejected on the interstate... you must flex the upholstery up and over the seat back, like a veterinarians collar, and locate two plastic retainers that require light pressure from a small screwdriver to release the seat top. apart is comes.

TIP: reinforce the seat bottom with some material between the seat foam and frame, this will make the seat firmer and prevent the foam from breaking down as it will do over time.... I've used scrap carpet and thin plastic with excellent results several times...

Thanks for the tip about the seat back. As for the bucket seat I got, the car had just literally just been set on the wheel stands about a half hour before I got to the yard. If there is one thing I learned about that place it is don't wait if you see something you want. I changed my plans for the afternoon when I saw the seat just to make sure you would not get it! (Sorry, just kidding!)

no problem. I lost a rarer more valueable part i needed from that car.... the mint in the color I need third brake light surround. it vanished while I ran for my tool box. @$%$#%@#%&!!!!!!!!!

good luck.

lol I was in cleveland at my parents place. I'm not from Cleveland, but they retired to Cleveland... I think they are insane.... I live in the Indianapolis area... Noblesville, Indiana

I have a 91 and a 93 vert. I've had a 92 vert and a parts car 94 before as well...

lol I was in cleveland at my parents place. I'm not from Cleveland, but they retired to Cleveland... I think they are insane.... I live in the Indianapolis area... Noblesville, Indiana

I have a 91 and a 93 vert. I've had a 92 vert and a parts car 94 before as well...

Ha, thats funny. In my Civil Engineering class we have to use a lot located off of 10th street and maple (st/avenue?) in noblesville indiana to build a hypothetical house designed for habitat for humanity for project lead the way. Just a random fact lol, I think its funny to see that a real person ive had contact with actually lives in that town since it looks awfully small. Kinda off topic ha

Crazy K, I had a friend who used to live in southern Indianapolis, just off of Mann Road. The first two self service yards I went to (the new style "corporate") pull a part yards were close to his house. I was amazed that someone organized yards like they do now. Sure makes life alot easier. By the way, why did your parents retire to Cleveland? I grew up there, still have a rental property there, just wondering?

i wish i knew. I want them NOT TOO close to me. Cleveland is a bit far but works. Columbus or Dayton would be about right. LOL!!!!!

I have done plenty of frequenting at both the PAP yards in Indianapolis.