RIP 1999 Lumina

wb 86

So I joined this forum in Sept. of this year, one year after I took over my dads Lumina after he retired it as his DD w/ 285,670M on the clock. This morning, due to years of northeast PA road salt abuse, the rear driver side suspension collapsed from rust. I am glad it happened in a very low speed situation as this could have been much worse and I was able to limp it to my buddies garage/salvage yard where I am selling it for scrap later today. Last October during an annual state safety inspection, I went under it with my mech. and we scoped out the under body and both were surprised at how clean it looked for where the car had been used all its life, yet we neglected to check out the rear trailing arms extensively and this is what cracked as well as some other unsafe rust issues that we noticed today in that area. I was able to get the car to click over to 294K this past Monday and it helped me get through my last semester at school this past spring after serving my dad for 12+ years.

Although I only posted one other time, I lurked around a bit and was able to learn quite a lot about my W-body and you all have helped me get my car sorted out through previous posts. This forum is a wealth of info and I look forward to returning when I possibly acquire another W-body in the future....eyeing up a cutty coupe, may make an offer this spring.

Thanks

-Craig

Sorry to see you lost it due to rust. Your right to walk away from a rusted car. It's seem like no matter how much money you put into it it's not quite right.

Good luck on finding a nice cutty coupe. I'm sure you'll enjoy one of those.