VATS in my 99 Lumina

hotrod24

I changed out the steering column in my 99 Lumina. I went though the steps, so I thught, to program the key to the car. But it is not working. Is there a control box that I can take off the car that i got the column from to make it work?

Does the key have a chip in it?

If so, you can't "reprogram" the security module to recognize the new key. If it's not the right resistance, it won't start the car.

You need to take your original key and the key for the new column to the hardware store, and have them cut you a new key with the pattern of your new key, but the resistance of your original key. Sounds confusing, but I've done it before.

Thats why i was going to get the module out of the car the the new column came out of. Hoping that i would not have to program anything. I just dont know where it is or do i need to get the car computer.

You don't have to program anything, just go have a new key made like I said. Have the teeth matched to the key for the new column and the resistor matched to your old key. No problem.