The future of my Grand Prix, detailed opinions please

AL

With the engine knocking in the GP, its very easy for me to lose interest but I wanted to find out what you would do in my situation... The body is rust free with only a little on the passenger side rocker (which need replaced anyways due to damage)... Its fully loaded and everything but the drivers heated seat works... 191k on the body and has B and G lowering springs... The engine is topswapped with the original top end so the miles carry on to those parts and the trans is a 3.29 geared trans with the HD diff... It leaks and I have to add fluid every so often... I havent pinpointed the leak yet... However, I am debating just parting out the car and using the money to pay down the loan on the truck (only about 4k or so, im aware that this wont pay it off) Or putting another engine in it and keeping it as a fun car... It has brand new brakes all the way around and I have the parts (except wheel bearings) to fix everything wrong with the suspension... Its currently stored at my cousins house in Dayton... I am visiting him on the first weekend in Jan. and could tow it back if needed or I can wait till later... I currently have around 4k into the car... Ask me any questions but I do want a reason behind your suggestion

Options:

Fix and keep

Fix and sell at a loss

Part out

Other?

2011-07-25093206.jpg

2011-07-25093146.jpg

Edited by AL

I'd fix a few of the smaller things and then sell it, focus on the regal. Use whatever money you get to pay down the truck (and maybe buy a few goodies for the GS). Heck, take a few things from the GP for the Regal first

I've been kind of planning what I'd do if I had a major failure of anything in my car... Honestly, I really kind of like my GP, flaws and all. It's been good to me and put up with plenty enough abuse. But truth be told, it's only ever going to make sense if I beef things up a bit and make it special. Keeping the car going is more important to me than questioning the retail value. Me personally, I don't plan on selling my car, though if I ever get something to take over it's DD duty, not quite sure where I'd store it.

Ultimately what it all boils down to is this: Is the car still fun to you? But also, can you get it running within a feasible amount of time without breaking the bank?

I'd fix and keep it. Of all the work you've put into the car and how it is almost exactly the car you wanted, I think you would be nuts to lose that. I know you love the car Al, maybe you should be happy with and enjoy what you have. I completely understand wanting to pay down the loan on the truck, in fact I didn't know you still owed that much.I still say fix and keep. If for no other reason there is no sense in taking a loss on the car.

The more important question is where are you planning to go with life? If the answer to that is "I don't know" then you need to answer that first then the question of what to do with the car will be way easier to answer.

Unless your pictures are misleading, it looks like a really clean car with nice wheels, lowered, and a moonroof. I'm a big fan of keeping 'em going, especially since you've invested some money into making it nice. You mentioned what, to me, is the cars best asset; no rust. We have all seen W's rusted way out, and a nice one is worth keeping going, in my opinion. My 97 Coupe is also rust free, and at 135k still runs and drives like a car with 40k on it. I will definatly go the tranny/motor route when the time comes. My only fear is some jackass plowing into me and totaling it, or a fire. Otherwise, as long as it looks good and drives good, keep her on the road. One last thought-no car payment!!

Yeah... it's a basket case, unfortunately. Get rid of it, sell it and use the cash towards painting the GS or the truck. I don't know how much you'd get from it, but you never know.

Unfortunately it's not worth anything in it's current state.

You'd be lucky to get $500 for that thing in my opinion. It's just a shell.

Even if BGA was to dump a half-decent N/A engine in it, I'd rock it as a winter beater in a heartbeat!! BGA has the know-how and abilities to make this thing run well again. Plus, I'd want to stab you in the head if you sold me this car in some sort of half-assed working condition. Walk away from the powertrain. Keep the body and learn from your mistakes BGA, I know I have in the last year.

The more important question is where are you planning to go with life? If the answer to that is "I don't know" then you need to answer that first then the question of what to do with the car will be way easier to answer.

I agree with this somewhat, but not entirely.

Where you're going to be and what you're going to be doing is a big thing, but if you want a 2nd Gen GP that will last you have the shell for one, you'd might as well use it!

:think::think::think:

I say keep it.

Why?

Keep Keep Keep.

Why?

FIX IT OR I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL KILL YOU!

<3

/thread

Explain yourself

I should mention... The Regal has a cleaner underside than the GTP and it rides a hell of a lot nicer than the GTP did

again, my thoughts are get away from it. It seems like a great car, but I think the regal has a lot more potential. Besides, no one needs 3 cars! (I'm not saying that's gonna keep me from getting another, just throwing that thought out there :lol: )

Al, it sounds like its going to need quite a bit of just to make it to a level that you'd be happy with it. If the regal is something you want to make nice and do some modding on go for that since its already a nicer riding car and not as rusty. Seriously no rusty cars.

I say let it go and do some work on the regal.

Why?

Why?

Explain yourself

I should mention... The Regal has a cleaner underside than the GTP and it rides a hell of a lot nicer than the GTP did

common engine. CHEAP engine. You have the skills and all to fix it (at least to make it driveable) and then you could still flip it if you choose not to keep it. you already have alot invested into it.

-this coming from someone who doesn't like second gens!

Why?

Why?

Explain yourself

Because you'll loose your ass on it! It never hurts to have a spare car iv the Regal assplodes, and it doesn't cost any money to just chill out a while.

After seeing the pictures I still say keep it. Every power option, leather, triple black, come on! You say you can get it running for only $300? Even if you choose to sell it, $300 is a small price to pay, and it is sure alot easier to sell a running car vs. a dead one. With about a million of those at every pick a part, what do you think it would really be worth as a parts car? And, about the rocker panel; I think I commented on your car before, and you don't need to replace the rocker. A body shop can bench your car, make a few pulls, and just body work the sheetmetal on the rockers once it is pulled straight. Unless it looks alot worse than the photos, it really is fixable. So, once again, I say keep her.

Get it running enough that you can sell it. Take the money, put some into the regal to ensure that it will continue to run fine. Split the rest between your savings and your truck.

Long term loans are good for credit. Granted, you pay in the long run in interest, but it will only help you down the road get bigger loans (home).

Having money in your savings is always a good thing. Hence the term "Rainy Day Fund". That, or what if you want to take a vacation, or put it towards your down payment on a future home.

IMO, think for the future.