Blower Motor & Air Flow Question

ptcfast2

I've seen the following impeller designs for blower motors. The blue one is a new Delco/Delphi/TYC and the black one is Old Delco/Factory Air/VDO....

51yDiPhlN1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51PwkgmFzbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One has many more fins and it just strikes me as a better design. Did the design get revised somewhere down the line?

Also, on these cars will hot air blow out with as much force as cold air? On my Lumina hot blows out softer compared to cold. Maybe I need to clean the heater core/evap a bit. I would think they would blow out about the same, but who knows...I'm not an HVAC expert. :)

Edited by ptcfast2

What's the application?

AC-Delco makes a big deal about selling an EXACT replacement part, but when I bought one for my '93 Lumina, the new part didn't look like the old one, and the fan had fewer blades, too.

The new AC-Delco motor and fan looked EXACTLY like the Communist Discount Junk heater motor, except the $60 motor said "Made In China" on the box, and the $160 Delco had a "Made in Canada" sticker on the motor.

The old fan was completely dead, so there wasn't much choice--I had to install a new one.

Can't say that I've noticed less hot air than cold air--never thought to compare. I suspect you've got a partially-plugged heater core housing; or air doors that don't operate properly.