Charging system tests.

92GrandPrixSE

So, we need an alternator for the GP. We got a used one that had 61,000 on it figuring it was good. I'm taking it to the shop to test it tomorrow, but in case it's fine. I tested the cable going to the output, and I had 12 volts. How do I test the plug going to the regulator? I can't look up a wiring diagram till tomorrow. Any help will be appreciated.

Bring it to an auto parts store such as Oreillys. They will put it in their testing machine and test it for you. Pretty sweet setup actually. The alt should be putting out close to 14 volts.

Bring it to an auto parts store such as Oreillys. They will put it in their testing machine and test it for you. Pretty sweet setup actually. The alt should be putting out close to 14 volts.

Off-the-car testing is the BEGINNING of diagnostics, not the end.

Be very careful. If they don't tell you how many amps it puts out, and at what voltage; and whether there's any AC ripple voltage...they haven't done a good job.

Off-the-car testing is the BEGINNING of diagnostics, not the end.

Be very careful. If they don't tell you how many amps it puts out, and at what voltage; and whether there's any AC ripple voltage...they haven't done a good job.

That's what the tester at work does.

testing the regulator? should be testing the main engine ground. the initial step to take. well, not testing, replacing if its a 92. testing the regulator is as simple as testing for 14 volts running at good idle.