Doors won't open!

Cygnus

I have those hidden door latches kind of doors. It's a 95 2-door Grand Prix.

So, last night, I get in to my car and drive home. A long the way I decide to get food and stop at the store. I come back out of the store later with my purchases and try to open the door. It was a no go. Try the other side, nope. Both handles feel like they work, I feel the right tension. Just won't unlatch.

It was 5 degrees outside at the time. My doors hate the cold, they won't close or open properly.

So, either my doors are both broke, frozen or they won't unlock even though I hear them unlock.

How to get in? lol

My lock on my driver door sticks some times and I have to unlock it twice to get in. I had my doors freeze shut. I had some windshield deicer I sprayed around the door. That was able to get it open.

If you handles are not broken they might be out of adjustment.

Last resort open the trunk get a kid or someone skinny and small to get into the pass though and open the doors from the inside.

That will probably help. Just don't get frustrated and pull on the door handle too hard they will break. After you get them open apply some dielectric grease to the weather stripping around the door it will prevent them from freezing.

I hear nothing other than the sound they normally been making since I've owned the car for three years.

The passenger door just will not open sometimes from the outside in any weather. lol

And opening it is heavier too.

Sounds like there out of adjustment. You'd be amazed at how well these doors open when you adjust them right. There is a rod that connects to the handle you can screw it up or down to get the door to open better.

Try bodyslamming the door to break any ice free. That usually works for me. Or pour some hot water down the crack there near the latch, that's worked for me as well, just dry it before you shut the door.

So my car sat in the garage last night and I go to open the door this morning. It wouldn't open from the outside or inside. My lock on my door sticks sometimes and I had to manually open it a little farther and then the door opened.

So my car sat in the garage last night and I go to open the door this morning. It wouldn't open from the outside or inside. My lock on my door sticks sometimes and I had to manually open it a little farther and then the door opened.

What do you mean by manually open it a little farther? You mean like use the key and turn it a bit more?

Here is what I did. My friend and I decided that this job needed more that a can of defrost.

So, we borrowed his dad's mini propane torch! We figured a little heat would loosen the stuff inside the door.

We were careful so my car doesn't go up in flames. We didn't use much heat, didn't even scorch the clear.

After the door opened, we saw no ice and I was easily able to open the passenger side.

So, Ice wasn't an issue.

The locks seem to open like they always, based off sound and speed of the unlocking. That could be wrong.

I just think the cold keeps the mechanism that actually keeps the door shut gets stubborn. There was an incendent where I was coming home from a friend's and my door wouldn't close! So, I had to hold the door shut while I drove to a lit parking lot to see what was up. I was able to slam the door shut, but not able to open it that night. So, after some crawling over the center console. I was able to get home and sleep. The next day(much warmer) my door was working normally, like it never had a problem. lol

What I think I need to do is, go to my auto collision training building at my Ccollege and get them to adjust my doors.

I`ve had this problem way to often and i found what i believe is the problem. First yeah adjust that little thing theaded onto that rod close to the top of that rod. Then you should see a little metal piece that kindof hangs by a single rivet and you should see the part of that that makes contact with the lever, round that edge off with something so that it doesnt dig a rut into the lever.

Good job, quick edit then.

You may want to grease up the doors insides real good too.

Edited by rich_e777

What do you mean by manually open it a little farther? You mean like use the key and turn it a bit more?

Sometimes getting it with the key works, but I usually have to go from the other side and pull the lock tab open more and the door open right up.