1994 Cutlass Supreme Coupe Starting Problems

Steel Head

Hi i got a 1994 Cutlass supreme 3.4L V6, I am experiencing Starting problems.

When i got to start the car the engine does not crank all i hear is the clicking from the starter. I put a new Battery & Starter in thinking i had a bad starter, but still the same, its like its not getting enough power to crank but like i said i got a new battery

Thanks for any infosmile.gifpost-6026-143689086343_thumb.jpg

I cleaned the auxiliary Battery post and tightened it and it seems to be starting up prefect soo far. I cant believe that post slipped my mind when i was cleaning all connections, could have saved me money on a new starter and new battery :roll:

Thanks again GP1138. Any further problems "I'll Be Back"

I am running into the same problems. I tested the power at the starter last night with my multi meter. When it starts, it gets 11-12 volts. When it just clicks it is only getting 5 - 6 volts. I assume a bad ignition switch or relay not allowing full voltage every time. I will try cleaning the auxiliary post as well, but I suspect it is something else for me.

I had that problem the entire 6 years I owned my cutlass, usually when the engine was really warm and if it was hot outside. Never could trace it down, but it never left me, it would always eventually start

This one drives me NUTZ! Especially when I'm in a hurry. The problem is with the SECURITY system. If you notice on your dash that little SECURITY light flashing...forget about getting somewhere in a hurry. It has something to do with the little chip on the ignition key and the computer control, basically..."The car thinks it's being stolen so it refuses to start!" I've spend over $500 trying to get mine to work right, and YES, it's still the same. NEW Keys, NEW Programming, Different Key FOBS, NEW COMPUTER CONTROL TOO! nothing, big doodoo!

I stashed a flask of CROWN ROYAL Special Reserve in the trunk, take a shot or two, light a smoke and finish it, a cop drives by then the car fires right up, NO KIDDING!

Have the local GM Dealership look at it. It took 5 seperate trips before my car did it to them too, they all thought I was crazy cuz sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it takes a while. BUT THIS IS DEFINATELY YOUR PROPLEM...TRUST ME!!!

when mine did it, it was definitely not the security system. I did have that happen once, but my ongoing problem was not related. If he's getting a click, it's not the security system.