282 vs 284? Advantages and disadvantages?

Shifter23

284:

+

strong

slightly better gearing for a tgp

can use 282 style hydraulics

axles are common off the shelf parts

-

Just TRY to buy parts for one

have to make your own transmission mount if a good used one is unavaliable

clutch costs 2-3x as much as 282, only company that makes performance clutches for them has god-awful customer support

shift cables are made of unobtainum

stock hydraulics are $TEXAS

there are NO rebuild parts on the market

282:

+

strong

tons of aftermarket support thanks to Fiero people

clutches are pretty cheap and available

cheap hydraulics

-

gearing is not ideal for LG5

shift cables are made of unobtainum

axles are slightly tricky to come by

that's odd, i've never had a problem getting axles for my 282. granted it was never from any of the big name auto parts stores, but i've always found local transmission shops that have rebuilts

Strange... I would have thought the 282s gearing would better suit the TGP than a 284 due to taller keeping the revs lower... Can definitely see why the 284 suits the LQ1 though.

I'm not sure where your located, but I have a good 282 with most of the swap parts needed. I'd like 300 if interested.

Parts I have are:

282 transmission

clutch, flywheel, etc (engine and trans have not yet been separated)

shifter and mounting brackets

cv shafts

shift cables

Clutch fluid reservoir

clutch safety switch and pigtail

transmission mount

Crappy old laptop pics:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/87aero/IMG000017.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/87aero/IMG000021.jpg

The 284 is direct bolt up for the LQ1. I have always thought a 282 swapped on a LQ1 is a major PITA if even possible?

it's possible, it was done by Badflash to his 90 lumina, but I would imagine the gearing would not be optimum.

why does the clutch and shit gotta be so different between a 282 and 284? has anyone ever test fit the opposite clutch and pressure plate into the opposite tranny?

Good info to know. I just picked up a 91 GTP 5-speed which of course runs the 284 and I am going to preserve it. But I still was asking due to the fact I do want to swap a TGP sometime since I have a couple I figured it would be nice. The TGP would be a lot more fun on the street with a 5-speed. Lucky that from what I am hearing my 284 is a GM reman and has a fresh clutch 20K ago. So other than making sure my LQ1 stays top notch and I don't beat the hell out of it I should be good.

I have a 282 behind a LQ1 and it's fun! Maybe not as good as a 284 but WAY better than an automatic. The ONLY problem with the swap was the rear engine mount bracket. You NEED the one from the 284 or you need to fabricate something to work to hold the intermediate shaft and replace part of the engine mount support you need to cut out of the automatic engine mount bracket. Besides that it bolts up exactly as a 284 would and runs damn good!