LQ1 Differences? Multi vs. SFI

Shifter23

You are right on the money GOT2B GM. If I was so lost that I didn't know the difference between a standard 3400 SFI and a LQ1 I probably shouldn't be dealing with ten TGPs :lol: The reason why I was curious is the factor I may be adding a 91 GTP 5-speed to the collection and I found a low mileage 94 LQ1 out of a GT for cheap. I was debating on picking it up for a spare around the shop since my 93 Cutlass convert is long gone.

Let's see... You wont use the cam sensor on the front valve cover, and maybe one or two other sensors/plugs are different, but thats about it. Been years since I've had my (z34 (swapped and lots of mods), but the list isn't long and its very doable.

That is good to know. I did pick up the 91 GTP and am pretty stoked to have a manual w-body added to my set. I will be getting in touch with the other guy and pick up that motor before someone else does.

Yep you could say I am a little out there when it comes to cars. But I will say at least half of the w-bodys I have picked up were not going anywhere nice so at least I saved them from the crusher. I did for a while there have a complete collection with a white TSTE but I had to sell that earlier this year. But I probably will pick one up again lol.

Similar question. Looking at a '96 Z34 parts car for my '95. What would I need to swap over from the 96 besides the engine and PCM? I'd imagine the wiring harness, but I hope I could keep my gauge cluster.

Similar question. Looking at a '96 Z34 parts car for my '95. What would I need to swap over from the 96 besides the engine and PCM? I'd imagine the wiring harness, but I hope I could keep my gauge cluster.

There is actually quite a bit different from 95' to 96'. The whole PCM yes, and all the damn sensors that go with it, will be in the block of the 96'. All the emissions were changed for 1996 as well as the entire top half of the engine.

Pretty much going to a 96 motor there will be some serious retro-fitting. Are you wanting to go to OBD2?

I planned on it eventually but not this soon. looking at a parts car and trying to consider any incompatibility issues before even making a decision. Monte has bent valves.

I always thought Multi-port and SFI was just a difference of the ECM? Yes there were subtle changes in the motor itself between OBD1-OBD2...

There other differences besides SFI in 94, but SFI needs a cam sensor and it had different injectors since they are no longer firing twice for each intake valve opening.

I planned on it eventually but not this soon. looking at a parts car and trying to consider any incompatibility issues before even making a decision. Monte has bent valves.

I did it this summer, swapped a 96 into my 95. You'll need the entire motor, PCM and harness. There's really only a few changes to the harness to be made. Gauge works fine, everything works fine in fact. Except for DIC, you'll need a 96 DIC. And if you manage to acquire 2 of them I could use one too! If you have any questions, let me know.