Cold start ticking and temp

pontiac2840

ok i just bought this car the other day for 700 dollars . when i start it it ticks till it warmed up then its gon e but, the engine temps higher then wat the normal operating temp is suppose to be. fan is on wat is ur sugestion

ok i just bought this car the other day for 700 dollars .

WHAT car? WHAT engine? More info needed.

when i start it it ticks till it warmed up then its gon e

Is this a 3.4 twincam?

Bulletin number 57-61-09 Issued 06 Nov 95 (All DOHC "X" VIN code engines from '91 to '94; and Lumina/Monte Carlo to mid-'95 [VIN breakpoint S9148603]

Tick-type noise on cold engine (not hot engine) Oil pressure fluctuations blowing the check balls off the seat on the hydraulic lifters.

Install repair kit 12538687--install revised cup plugs in all 4 camshafts; drill, tap, and plug oiling holes in all 4 camshaft thrust plate grooves, install revised cam thrust plates.

Parts kit 12538687 no longer available from GM. Might be able to get individual parts...maybe.

but, the engine temps higher then wat the normal operating temp is suppose to be. fan is on wat is ur sugestion

My first suggestion is for you to use the letter "h", and avoid "text message" shortcuts.

Does the gauge read correctly, as verified by comparing it to a second gauge or a thermometer in the radiator fill neck? Existing gauge is not mis-calibrated; wiring is in good condition?

Coolant level full? Coolant is not rusty/clumped/otherwise deteriorated?

Radiator cap holds pressure?

Thermostat opens properly?

No air trapped in the cooling system? Have you checked the bleeder ports?

BOTH cooling fans work properly?

Fairly common for the radiator to rot; either from corrosion build-up in the coolant passages, or from salt corrosion on the air fins. Either will destroy the ability of the rad to transfer heat. Mechanical damage to the air fins from road debris will reduce air flow and also cause lack of heat transfer.