Gp diet?

mazdamx640

I have a 93 gp 2dr 3.1 that i am trying to make lighter sofar i have removed all of the a/c system, back seats, spare tire and jack, carpet, washer reservoir, coolant reservoir, insulation and cruise control. what else can i do to make it lighter? was thinking about lightening or removing the bumpers and removing the insulation from the hood but not sure if it will get too hot for the paint. it didn't come with airbags so no weight to be saved there. also going to remove the lock actuators wont save much weight but im tired of getting locked out of my car damn those auto locks! saving to but a 284 so i'm not wanting to spend any cash right now. i'm not willing to take off my heater core, radio or passenger seat but everything else is up for review. any ideas?

This is fun.

Remove spoiler, remove carpet from trunk, remove hood insulation, antenna, radio, substitute those for an MP3 with headphones, remove passenger seat, remove your headliner, take out the center console, remove air box and replace with light weight cone filter. Remove the front grills in the bumper. You could remove the dash pad. It's just a cover. Don't really need it.

If your car has a lot of rust take a hammer and bang it all off. That will remove a lot of weight.

IMG_7427.jpg

Edited by 94 olds vert

My car didnt come with a spoiler yay :) and my car has no rust double yay! radio stays and i need a passenger seat. im thinking about getting those plastic racing seats from jegs there under $40ea and look like they could save alot of weight. also jegs sells a inline water pump and with that i could remove the factory water pump and power steering and just have to run the alternator. also going to only use one muffler when i redo the exhaust.

Nope just my dd that im fixing up. want more performance but not enought cash right now plus i love a stripped out basic as can be car. as for goin on a diet i dig holes 10 hours a day not much weight to be lost

Don't take weight out of the back! Our cars weight distribution is WAY towards the front as is, taking more weight from the back is only going to further shift the weight distribution. Grand prix's are somewhere between 64-66% front weight distribution, and weight around 3250lbs - so say 2145 up front and 1105 in back. Ideal weight distribution is 50/50. I had a big heavy sub box in the back of my car for a long time, and while it made my monoleaf go to shit, my car felt like it had slightly better balance with it back there.

Not sure what I'd take out of the front to save any real weight, except to lose this damn tire around my waist line :burger:

Edited by skitchin

This is fun.

Remove spoiler, remove carpet from trunk, remove hood insulation, antenna, radio, substitute those for an MP3 with headphones

I don't care what laws are or aren't in place, driving with headphones is a horrible idea and should be illegal. You can't:

Hear approaching emergency vehicles

Hear cars honking to warn you of their presence

Hear other emergency sounds, such as a railroad crossing

$0.02

I don't care what laws are or aren't in place, driving with headphones is a horrible idea and should be illegal. You can't:

$0.02

I see people do it all the time, and it gets on my nerves. If you need to remove some weight speaker and radio do weigh more than an MP3.

I see people do it all the time, and it gets on my nerves. If you need to remove some weight speaker and radio do weigh more than an MP3.

Glad it's not just me :)

Phone + this guy

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-iM227-Orbit-Speaker/dp/B004CYKEBK

altec-lansing-orbit-m.jpg

Also, touching back on my earlier points - I wouldn't remove weight from any point behind the front seats.

$0.02

Pretty sure it's illegal in Mi. I wanna smack people when I see them doing that.