00 GTP. Cluster stopped working.

Carlos773

So long story short. Went to fix my cluster that had what I thought blown bulbs on the left side of the cluster RPM/Fuel. Found that if I gently press in the bulged section of the green backing on the cluster near the gear indicator board that it will turn on. I then went and taped it down and it seemed to fix the problem.

Now my next problem began. Now the gauges did not work at all. Everything lights up. Dims. Turn signals and Hi's indicators work. No seatbealt, air bag or anything else flashes on start up. I figured the board went bad since it had problems and went to a local yard and picked up another before they closed. Guess what same problem.

They all just dont move. You start the car and thats all you get. Even the Overhead hud went out. Brake lights still work.

What can it be? I am going back to swap the cluster for another one. Hopefully its just bad luck with these clusters.

Checked most of the fuses I would guess would be the culprit. Nothing.

I will be checking the connectors on the pigtals going to the cluster for any sign of life for the gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

This issue, although odd, may not be very severe to a point. All GM vehcles from 1995 and up to 2004/2005 have the Class 2 data bus due to the advent of OnStar services and to reduce wiring in the vehicle. Almost every gauge in your car recieves data from this data bus line, and, if the line has been cut or disconnected anywhere, it will prevent that device and any device after it from functioning properly if the devices are dependant on it. In Pontiacs, the line was typically dark purple. Check this wire first at your dash cluster connector. If it is connected, check your DIC and BCM. Here is how typically this line is routed in the case of dash and guages: ECM/PCM>BCM>DIC (If so equipped)>Dash Cluster>HUD and other external guage systems. If your car is equipped with the DIC (which I would suspect that it is since it is a GTP), check if that is still fully functional. If it is, then the problem should lie either in the dash cluster connector or the dash cluster itself. If the DIC is non-responsive, check your BCM as well.

I hope this helps,

Starflare5.