Front end wobble, ideas?

3pt1lumina

OK, so been fixing all of the little gremlins on the white Lumina the past few weeks and I'm down to my last one. I'm stumped on this. Here's what it's doing and here's what I've done:

Highway speeds (say 45+) if you turn the wheel to the left (merging or on a bank) it wobbles like a wheel/tire is out of balance. Kind of makes a thumping noise too. Straight and to the right silky is smooth. It's been doing this for some time, really hasn't gotten any worse it's just annoying.

Car has 172k, here's what I've replaced:

- All 4 struts and re-aligned (new strut bearings/mounts too...they were clicking...about 2 months ago)

- Rear trailering arms, had a spare set that were nicer so I put them on.

- RF tie rod- maybe a year old

- Moved tires around from side to side, front to back, no difference. Tried my winter wheels, still the same.

Things I've noticed:

- Brakes have a pulsation in the pedal, especially slowing down from highway speeds.

- Jacked car up and shook down front end, no play anywhere.

Thoughts? I was tempted to replace the rotors, but they're still pretty meaty and pads are decent too. One garage told me the half shaft might be starting to go... not sure how to check that. Also thought it might be the ball joint or control arm bushing, but again no play at all.

Thanks in advance.

- Brakes have a pulsation in the pedal, especially slowing down from highway speeds...

...I was tempted to replace the rotors, but they're still pretty meaty and pads are decent too.

Try slowing with the park brake. If it brakes smoothly, it's very likely the front rotors, and it'd be best to have 'em cut. It's unlikely that you'll find someone who can properly measure them to figure out if it's one or both that are bad. Easier to just cut 'em since at least one is almost certainly out-of-spec.

One garage told me the half shaft might be starting to go.

Good chance. Another possibility is bad wheel bearing(s). I had a Lumina that "hummed" when turning one direction but not the other, or straight. Shop told me it was a wheel bearing. Didn't replace it, doesn't do it any more. Must have "healed". ;)

Edited by Schurkey

Wheel bearing makes sense. Also, just shaking down the front end doesn't always show a bad ball joint. Try getting each wheel off the ground, and using a pry bar under the wheel to wiggle it up and down. Watch the ball joint closely. You may see up and down play when testing it that way.

Did as you suggested and stepped on the e-brake, definitely the rear brakes that are pulsating. I have an appointment for it in a couple of weeks for an alignment, and it's going to a very reputable shop (one I actually trust my show cars to) so if they find it I'll post back.