How to remove engine harness from firewall?

Luminator9c3

I've finally gotten around to pulling the 3800S2 motor out of my crashed Lumina 9c3. I've got the whole harness disconnected in the engine bay, but now I can't figure out how to get the harness out of the car. Right at the firewall, the harness is wrapped in electrical tape that looks like it has been on there for a decade. I can't see any screws or anything.

Then, there's the issue that the harness doesn't appear to be accessible from inside the car without removing the dashboard, just due to it's location. To me, though, it seems ridiculous to have to remove the dashboard. In my b-bodies, the harness passes through the firewall closer to the floor, so it's easy to deal with.

Any insight? I really want to get this finished before it gets too cold. Thanks, fellas.

there is a hole in the middle of the plug, in the middle is (I believe) a torx 30 loosen that and it pulls right out. sometimes they get full of dirt and junk over the years so it might be slightly obscured by that.

Newer models do not use the C-100 firewall connector like the older cars. I am not certain what year they changed connectors but I have seen a few model year 2000 with the new wiring setup. The wiring harness has large connectors going into the bottom of the fuse box under the hood. If you need more of the harness you are in for some fun. It doesn't come apart right at the firewall but rather has multiple connectors on the inside that must be undone first. Of course when they put the car together that harness was installed then a ton of dash, heating, and A/C items put on top of it. The BCM should also be in that area on the inside, so you probably want to snag that while you are in there. Since you are pulling this from a wrecked car I would imagine you have no intention of rebuilding the car. If that is the case then I would highly suggest a sawzall and/or other cutting devices. Much easier to get at if you don't have to be careful and it isn't going back together.

This is going by your description of the connector wrapped in electrical tape. If it has studs around the perimeter that are securing it in place and not the type with a plastic connector under the hood with a bolt in the middle of it. I have no idea when they changed so you want to identify what you are dealing with before you tear the interior apart for nothing. If you still have any doubt I would grab a few pics and post them up.

Okay... I see the hole in the middle of the firewall connector and I figured there must be some type of fastener down in there somewhere. There's tons of crud covering it, though... so I'll have to dig a bit.

The connectors on the other side of the firewall are what concerns me now. The interior is already completely out of the car except for the dash and headliner. I'll be pulling the dash anyway so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to pull it to remove the harness. As I said, though, that just doesn't seem right. But... I guess w-bodies are friggin weird cars anyway.

I really want to make sure to keep the harness in good condition. Since Lumina's don't usually come with L36's in them, I figure a Lumina L36 harness would be useful to someone (probably on this forum). Oh, and the motor will be for sale as well once it is pulled, if anyone needs a low mileage motor near Northern IL.

I may be interested in the motor, how many miles?

It has 83k original miles on it and runs perfect. I made a video of it running before I started disconnecting the harness, so you can see/hear it run. I bought the car directly from Peoria County at an auction so it has been very well maintained.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and we can talk more.

-Matt