HELP! EMERGENCY! Need Right Frame Cradle Bushing - Told Not Made Cant Pass Inspection

90V6RedHotLuminaEuro

Good Day All!

I have a 1990 Chevy Lumina Euro with a V6/3.1. I brought it in for NYS inspection. I was told it has a bad RIGHT FRAME CRADLE BUSHING and that the part isn't made anymore. The car won't pass inspection until I get it fixed. The inspection is Expired... I know, I'm a knucklehead for waiting til the last minute... but forget that... I gotta fix my car!!!

Somebody has to have that part... I can't believe it's missing from the planet... or an alternative Fix for it...

HELP and assistance will be deeply appreciated.

John B.

Are you talking about a subframe bushing like in this tutorial? http://www.w-body.com/content.php/195-1st-gen-subframe-bushing-replacement. They are still made (Dorman makes them)

Front Mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026M7WH4

Rear Mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026M5TJC

Normally it's best to replace them in pairs. If you've got one that's shot your others aren't far behind...

Edited by ptcfast2
Links...

Would These Work

No, those seem to be universal mounts. The subframe on these cars requires a specific part. You need to order the part number I referenced in the links in my previous post. Advance Auto carries them but they are roughly twice the price compared to Amazon.

Dorman 924-004 - Front (2 Required)

As for the rears, I'm not 100% sure the other part number is correct. I show interchange for cars going back to 94, not sure as I'm a 1.5 Gen guy. The fronts will work just fine though. Hopefully someone else chimes in in regards to the rears. Do you know if we're dealing with the front or rear anyways? 4 bushings total on the subframe.

Edited by ptcfast2

Dorman lists 924-004 and 924-005 as fitting '94 and newer. They are sold individually, so you need two of each number. They do NOT list them for '93 and older.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents4rb/2009ss/2800120_SubFrameBushing.pdf

The -004 is also sold as NAPA number BK 6504110

The -005 is also sold as NAPA number BK 6504111

but again, they're not listed for the first-gen vehicles.

WHAT CHANGED on the crossmember or body between '93 and '94 that would make those bushings NOT work? First Guess: They DO fit--but I haven't bought a set to find out for sure.

I'm certain that the bushings are made in China; (typical Dorman) I'd appreciate confirmation from anyone who's bought a set.

I just picked up a complete set from the dealer for my 90' GP earlier this year. IIRC GM used several different variations over the years, all *should* interchange as I am 99% sure that since 91' the cradle was the same until 2001 when the lumina was finally dropped. 88-90 cradles can still be used, they just won't have the rear mount for the LQ1.

IIRC I used a bolt from a 98' MC on my 93' z once It was longer and the head looked more serious business but other then that it seemed like it would be fine.

Dorman lists 924-004 and 924-005 as fitting '94 and newer. They are sold individually, so you need two of each number. They do NOT list them for '93 and older.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents4rb/2009ss/2800120_SubFrameBushing.pdf

The -004 is also sold as NAPA number BK 6504110

The -005 is also sold as NAPA number BK 6504111

but again, they're not listed for the first-gen vehicles.

WHAT CHANGED on the crossmember or body between '93 and '94 that would make those bushings NOT work? First Guess: They DO fit--but I haven't bought a set to find out for sure.

I'm certain that the bushings are made in China; (typical Dorman) I'd appreciate confirmation from anyone who's bought a set.

You might be wrong on the 924-004 sir - see http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-22958-924-004.aspx - fits 90 + above Luminas according to the quick description, but when you move to detailed it fails to list it. It's slightly confusing but the interchange on other sites shows the 90 model as compatible. So....:shrug:

I've got the Dorman mount on my 98 Lumina, bolts were the same as the ones I took out. So If the 1st gens had thinner bolts they probably won't fit.

Edited by ptcfast2

Friggin' EXCELLENT. If the bolt size is the only difference...I can make spacer sleeves from thin-wall tubing!

(Or drill 'n' tap the body for the larger threads, and then use the bigger bolts.)

Friggin' EXCELLENT. If the bolt size is the only difference...I can make spacer sleeves from thin-wall tubing!

(Or drill 'n' tap the body for the larger threads, and then use the bigger bolts.)

I'm pretty sure there's a nut there and that its not just bolted straight into the body.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

You might be wrong on the 924-004

I believe they're the right parts... if you go to AutoZone or Advance and ask them if they have the parts... those are the part numbers they pull up. I doubt they could both be wrong... what do you think?

I double checked with Advance and Autozone... They both say they can get those part numbers but can't guarantee that they will fit the 90 Lumina... so... can anyone confirm the fit of these part numbers? ...or know 100% what part numbers are needed and where I can get them?

John B.

The bushing itself should be the same. The hole inside the bushing is oval and not perfectly fitted to the size of the bolt. I don't know if the metal retainer hole size changed, but it is designed in such a way as to be self-centering. The old retainers could also be used. I believe the bolts are torque-to-yield and are supposed to be replaced, however I am sure there are plenty of people who have reused them without problems. I picked up new bolts when I changed my bushings since I already had an order for numerous bolts to work on a few different vehicles at the time.

If I recall correctly the cradles/bushing or something were recalled for this car/model as well. Might want to call GM to see if your VIN is still on file - if it is the recall was never done. Might be able to get this done for free.

Thanks for that... it makes me feel optimistic... I ordered the parts... from AutoParts123 via Amazon... the total for both part numbers with shipping was only $48.05... so we'll see... maybe I'll get lucky! ...maybe I'll have to retrofit... I'll keep my duct tape handy... This car has been very demanding... I'll be posting another question regarding some other sad issue shortly... sheeesh!

the retainers changed the hole size, it is possible that the bushings did not.

I'm not sure what the above means... but the parts were shipped out today... I'll give complete descriptions of what I get... what I've got... and what kind of hell I have to go through to get it all together...

For my inspection to pass... I only have to replace the rear passenger side frame bushing... I'm going to do just that... even if I have to attach it with a giant toggle bolt and/or crazy glue... just to get the inspection passed... and then do the rest of the bushings... at my leisure.

It would be sad if after replacing the non-Inspection-passing bushing to then have issues with the other bushings so as not to be able to get the car inspected... like a broken bolt or something... I don't even want to think about that... God Help Me! (think happy thoughts... think happy thoughts...)

John B.

Just take the car to a ten minute oil change place and have it reinspected. When they ask what it was failed for, just say there was concern about a tie rod end or something unrelated, but something with stearing and suspension. Say it was checked out by your buddy and it was just fine. Get your 2012 sticker and be done with it.

Hmmm... I'm originally from Brooklyn... been gone a long time... relatively newly back here in upstate NY... first time getting an inspection... I can do that? I don't have to go back to the same place? Nothing is flagged in a computer somewhere about my frame bushing? I can bring it to some simple grease job joint/chinese take-out place and get a sticker???

John B.

Hmmm... I'm originally from Brooklyn... been gone a long time... relatively newly back here in upstate NY... first time getting an inspection... I can do that? I don't have to go back to the same place? Nothing is flagged in a computer somewhere about my frame bushing? I can bring it to some simple grease job joint/chinese take-out place and get a sticker???

John B.

Fix the problem. A subframe bushing isn't something to mess with - last thing you want is the frame falling out beneath you when driving...

As for the inspection, most (if not all) states utilize a system that links up to a central location somewhere in the state to store records of the car's inspection status. States will differ, but if the car failed it will possibly be recorded somewhere. I'd try and give it a go though - you don't have much to loose in this case...and if you need to get the car passed like yesterday give it a shot. If they call you out on it act dumb and be like oh, thought it was a tie rod...well guess I'll need to fix the real problem then...and go on your way.

Don't ignore the bushing though...seriously! Fix it...all 4 if you can. With a car that old (and a recall on them to boot) it's not worth risking the car or your life.

If I recall correctly the cradles/bushing or something were recalled for this car/model as well. Might want to call GM to see if your VIN is still on file - if it is the recall was never done. Might be able to get this done for free.

YES! These are still under NHTSA/GM Recall

A few years ago (I think 3) I had the recall done on my 89 GP. They only replace the lower retainers and bolts IIRC.

Fix the problem.

Oh You Bet! Inspection or no inspection... and the safety issues... I'm fixing the problem. My ultimate goal is to fix ALL the problems and bring form and function back to this old fat red jalopy. I just can't seem to get ahead of the problems... I've got a backlog of fixes to do and I'm developing quite the inventory of new parts... the inspection just adds to the pressure... the weather hasn't been favorable for automotive mechanical repair sessions... I don't have a garage... rather... the front of my trailer home is a mud pit... and winter is breathing down my neck... sheeesh! ...sorry... I'm venting...

John B.

Ah it's cool. My car has been a backlog of fixes just up until a month ago. Bought it 2 years ago and been working on ever since. I finally managed to finish up all the work I really needed to do to it. It was worth it though. :)

Hopefully you won't have to set your bushings on fire like I did. I couldn't get my air chisel into the appropriate spot nor would the bushing separate from the frame so I set fire to the rubber of the bushing with a propane torch and let the fire heat the metal and let the rubber melt off. Was not a fun day, but in the end it allowed me to get all 4 done. :lol: